Thursday, June 16, 2011

The multifaceted "like"

I think we have a new "like" problem.

When I was in middle school, this word was, like, overused in almost, like, every sentence by mostly, like, teenage girls. It was, like, so ridiculous.

I purposely avoided the wordunless I was using it as a simile, of course. "

Then, oh goodness, was the use of the word to describe how you felt about that special crush. Do you "like" him, or do you like "like" him? Clearly there was a HUGE difference. I mean, one is like; one is like like.

Most recently, "like" has taken on an entirely different meaningit describes our affinity for certain comments or postings in Facebook. The problem is that this can't exactly transfer over into real life.

For instance, the other day a group of people and I were e-mailing back and forth, and someone said something really funny. I was a bit astonished when I went to click "like" only to find out that there was no "like" button. What?! How was I to express my feelings of appreciation for such witty commentary? I mean, clearly I could not come out and just say, "Wow, that was so funny!" NoI needed to "like" that.

It's the same thing with blog entries. I can't like them. I actually have to leave comments. What's up with that?

I sometimes even find myself in situations in society where I need to click like, but I am nowhere near a computeror anything Facebook related, for that matter. Sale at Target? LIKE. Another Rangers win? LIKE. No line at the snow cone place? LIKE. Compliment from a random stranger? LIKE.

I even saw a picture in a frame sitting on someone's desk, and there was nowhere for me to click "like." Instead, I had to tell the person that it was a great picture. Good grief.

In these situations, we actually have to use our words to communicate our thoughts. We can't just do something as simple as click a "like" button, as convenient as that would seem. I think it's safe to say that certain aspects of Facebook and other social media have truly changed the way we behave—and that's not always a good thing.

I feel that (possibly purposefully avoided use here) the word and concept of "like" has been abused throughout history. Perhaps we just like the word "like" too much.

After all, if there were a "like" button for the word "like," I definitely know a lot of people who would, like, click it.

3 comments:

nameless said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nameless said...

Like! Like! Like!

presenza said...

you make my heart happy! sometimes i think you're in my head, and i'm ok with that!