Thursday, March 29, 2012

You have to start the race to finish


The starting line can be one of the most nerve-racking places there is.

There's something so frightening about that moment right before the gun (or air horn) goes off. Sometimes just the seconds right before it feel like they last an eternity. I even get nervous for my track runners as they line up right before their races. The starter says, "Runners, take your marks!" Then his gun goes up in the air, and there's that instant where you have absolutely no idea when the shot will ring to begin the race.

It's definitely worse when you're the one on that line.

Once the race actually gets underway, you can calm down and simply run. The anxiety starts to wear away, because now there are more important things on which to place your focus, such as your pace and making sure you follow the right course. You don't really worry as much about what is going to happen, because you are in the middle of making things happen.

Ready?
I can think of so many moments in my life where I've treated them as starting linesthere's that initial hesitation and fear, because I have no idea what lies ahead of me, and I am uncertain of how successful I'm actually going to be. Instead of just trusting that my training and abilities will ensure I'm well-prepared, I let doubt and anxiety blur my vision. Instead of trusting that God has provided me with all I need and will continue to do so along the way, I let those slight panic attacks make me want to hold back and not just take off and go like I know I should.

But you can't finish a race if you never actually start.

Each day, God gives me another starting line, and I have a choice: I can either let that pestering voice in my head cause me to get off on the wrong footing, or I can simply trust that it's all in His hands and that His word and truth have prepared me enough to run the race of a lifetime.

There's no need to worry about anything along the course, because the most amazing Race Director is in charge of this one.

It's another day, and we're lined up at another starting line. Let's trust that we're ready to gono mental barriers are going to slow us down on this one.

Take your marks...

No comments: