Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sweet whimsies


Little girls are often taught to dream big, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

At least they're letting hope prevail.

The other day, I was in a waiting room, and a little girl in there started showing me how pretty her shoes were. I agreed with herafter all, they were pink and sparkly. She told me they were her princess shoes. Obviously.

"Mommy says all girls are princesses and will someday meet their princes and live happily ever after," she reminded me.

I looked at her mom and then back at her, smiled and said, "Just make sure you hold out for a hero."

My name was called at that moment, so I had to get up and leave before she could question my advice. She didn't look much older than 6, but I hope it sticks with her.

My brief chat with Princess Sparkle Shoes made me think about the innocent belief a lot of us have about how things will turn out for us: meet that flawless guy, have the most beautiful wedding, live in the pristine home with precious children and have a carefree life.

It's dreaming without reality in mind.

The truth is, there is no perfect life. There are always going to be struggles, even if you do get married and appear to have the ideal family and lifestyle. But, at the same time, I don't think there is anything wrong with wishing for the daydream to come true.

People wish on flowers, birthday candles, and multiple other things in hopes that there's some sparkle of possibility that those dreams will come true. It's innocent, and it's beautiful.

Even if it doesn't happen exactly as expected.

My life definitely isn't what I thought it would be when I blew on all of those dandelions as a young girl. If it were, I would have been on a lot more carriage rides looking at Christmas lights, gazebos would hold real meaning, and I would always have the assurance of someone there to hold my hand. And it's OK that those things aren't reality right now. I might be cursed from that whole climbing the Century Tree thing, but I might not be. We'll see.

I think it's still acceptable to twirl around and wish on flowers. If you don't have hope, you don't have much. You'll hopefully find your prince at some point, even if he isn't as charming and wonderful as Eric was to Ariel. People can't be as perfect as we want them to be, but that's what actually makes them even more special than fictional characters.

But just make sure you hold out for a hero.

No comments: