Monday, February 4, 2013

Can't fix it all


Duct tape is so useful in my life.

It really does fix so many things.

I don't pretend to know how there is so much power in what doesn't even seem like a very sticky piece of material, but there is something extra special in there that has almost magical wonders that can literally mend so many thingsand now there are even fancier duct tapes (rather than the standard gray color) so that your repairs can appear classier than they really are.

It's absolutely fantastic.

But, sadly, I have discovered that duct tape cannot actually fix everything.

Not too long ago, there was a ceiling light in my classroom that became somewhat hazardous when the screen broke on one side and was hanging, ready to fall at any moment. I figured it likely wouldn't be good to have it collapse onto one of my students, and for some reason it seemed like a good idea to try to fix it myself. I can't even begin to describe how excited I got when I realized I was going to get to use my pink polka dot duct tape. Talk about a good day!

Unfortunately, things don't always pan out as we planned.

Keep it classy.
My attempt to ensure the safety of my students resulted in me almost falling off of a chair stacked on a desk (while I was in heels) and the screen whacking into my face (twice) before I realized that the duct tape just wasn't strong enough to repair the light fixture. I was sadnot only because I couldn't fix something but also because now I knew my ceiling wouldn't have polka dots giving it more character. And that's upsetting.

There are many things duct tape can legitimately fix: flip flops, phone cases, water bottles, remote controls, Garmin watch bands (go with hot pink on that onetrust me), books, various imperfect parts of your car (well, to a certain extent), articles of clothing, and many other things that other people or even you might find strange.

But there are also far too many things duct tape cannot mend: ceiling lights (obviously), bad haircuts, head wounds (actually, it's probably not wise to use duct tape on any cut/gash/break to your body), iceberg damage to ships (Titanic still would have sunk), bridges, planes, punctures to tires, and plenty of other thingsincluding broken hearts.

I guess it's good that duct tape can't be the solution to everything. I mean, if it weren't for duct tape's various inabilities, I wouldn't get to wear Band-Aids with fairies or Spiderman on them, because I would be wearing duct tapeand I have yet to see duct tape with fairies or Spiderman. And I love Band-Aids.

It's also for the best that duct tape can't make our broken hearts better. I'd much rather rely on God for that. It may sometimes take longer than just slapping something sticky on there, but it's worth it.

And you may end up finding more polka dots and other fun patterns than any roll of tape could ever bring you.

1 comment:

stephaniem said...

At least you were wearing heals when you were attempting to make the fix.

I mean, rather than tennies? Fashion is key.

xoxo

Also, just so you know...the security keyword here is "Inflems."

That is just weird.