Monday, March 11, 2013

Tailor-made


Being tailored can be so uncomfortable.

I took a dress to be altered today, and I will be one of the first people to say that the tailor is not one of my favorite places to go. For starters, it's chilly out, and I was already in my cozy clothes and wasn't thrilled to have to change into the dress. But, it's a necessary component of the process, so I tried to think happy thoughts.

Until the pins came out.

Different than before
The sweet lady in charge of alterations is awesome and has tailored a couple of bridesmaids dresses for me in the past, but I never like it when I see her come toward me with all of those pins in her handsit means things are about to get unpleasant. I guess one reason I really don't like this situation is because I'm not a huge fan of peopleespecially people I don't know very well—touching me. I don't like having the thought: "Oh, that's a hand that shouldn't be there," when fabric is being pulled and tightened in various places.

But the uncomfortable moments have to occur in order for the dress to be in its best form. And, once it is finally ready, it's as perfect as it can be for whatever person is set to wear it. It's still the same dress, but now it's gone through changes so that it's better than it was before.

We all go through tailoring types of experiences in life, but they are there to help us to become the people we are meant to be. Even though we feel awkward and uneasy sometimes, we are being tailored and molded they way we are supposed to so that we reach that perfect fit. We are still the same people, but we've had the changes within us that make us better than we were.

No, going to the tailor isn't the bravest feat in the world, but you still have to be willing to step out in the middle of the room in front of those huge mirrors and trust that the professional knows what he or she is doing. In the same way, we also have to be willing to step out in the middle of this massive world and let the real Tailor work in us, trusting that He knows exactly what He's doing.

It's bold. It's worth it.

Being tailored isn't so badafter all, it just means you'll be that much more comfortable to dance with spunk every chance you get.

No comments: