Monday, May 6, 2013

Be careful and risky


While there isn't a book full of instructions for every instance of life, there are certainly some tidbits of advice we gain from others along the way.

We (mostly women) are often reminded of how we need to guard our hearts. While I definitely agree, I think we still have to risk our hearts at some points if we're ever going to fall in loveyou have to be careful and risky at the same time. But, still, those "guard your heart" warnings are from the Word (see Proverbs 4:23) and quite valuable.

But there are other admonitions that people don't stress as muchlike wearing socks when you go rollerblading.

I encountered a situation yesterday in which I had forgotten socks but was coaching a young runner and needed to rollerblade alongside her for the 5K course I had mapped out. I had already run 14 miles that morning and didn't want to run again, so I figured I would just carelessly blade in my sockless state and not have to worry about many repercussions.

False.

Wear socks when blading.
I started feeling some rubbing pain not too long into her run, but I figured it was only for a short period of time, and I'd be fine. The results were two lovely bleeding blister-type things on the outside of both of my legs. Gross. And ouch.

I realize this was completely my faultI knew I was going to be rollerblading that day, and I should have remembered to pack socks. But, as I was scrambling to throw stuff in a bag for church and the rest of the day before I drove to Dallas for my run, the socks managed to slip my mind. It was unfortunate, obviously.

But, to be honest, I really don't care about the blisters that much. My precious little runner completed her training for the day and did a great joband I was able to be there with her the entire time and guide her and encourage her for the duration of the course.

Life is going to throw things at us that leave us hurt and maybe even scarred. But even those marks are often worth what we go through to get them. You might find yourself with heartache as you sit with your friend on a park swing during your college years wondering where things went wrong, but even then you could know that you're growing in your walk with the Lord when you need comfort the most. Or you could get a broken heart and know that perhaps you let yourself be too vulnerable. Either way, it's the life lesson you needed to make you into the person you were meant to be.

The heart is a bit more fragile than the skin on your legs, but there are still times when we have to risk feeling some pain for the people we love. Your heart is precious, so let love flow from it, yet also ensure that it's protected, especially from such harshness like spite and resentment.

Because blisters on the heart are worse than those from a sockless rollerblading excursion.

No comments: