Monday, October 7, 2013

Trust the system

I'm sure there are worse things in life than moving, but that list is likely quite short.

And full of misery.

Unfortunately, I've had to go through this process twice in the last three months. Thankfully, the most recent was much more successful than the last, which resulted in the flood I once shared with you. But, again, I learned some more lessons and a few things about people's characters.

My two friends Laz and Disco helped my dad and me complete the dreaded yet long-awaited move, and they certainly added to the entertainment factor. They are two of the funniest people you'll ever meet, but they also have two of the biggest hearts of anyone I know. They are genuinely nice people, regardless of how much they tease me or torture me with their "stanky leg" combo. (Don't ask.)

They are simply the definition of true friends.

I tried to help carry and move as much as I could, but they wouldn't let me do a whole lot. After they carried their first heavy item up the stairs together, Laz and Disco claimed they had the perfect system and that I was not to interfere with it. In fact, when I did try to carry something with either of them, they would say, "Don't ruin the system!"

Boys. Ugh.

But, I know they were just doing all of the work because, like I said, they have huge hearts and are always willing to help out when I need them. Well, that and the promise of free tacos. But mainly the big hearts thing.
He is OOC. Always.

One of the more memorable moments was when the two of them decided to carry my couch through the garage so they could take it up the ramp rather than the stairs. I went with them and tried to help multiple times, but each attempt was met with the response that I would be ruining the system. Even when Disco had to stop and have them set the couch down so he could give his arms a short rest, I was informed that this was simply part of the system: small breaks when needed, but outside interference was still not allowed. I have since found a faster route to my place through a different door in the garage, but they were insistent on going the way they did. So be it.

Obviously I wasn't able to do much except trust that they could carry it all without my help and that their system was flawless enough to get the job done.

Just like two guys have their set plan in moving heavy items to the second level of an apartment complex, God also has His own design for each of our livesand He certainly doesn't need our help in ensuring that His system works well. We just have to sit back and trust that He knows what He's doing and that everything that needs to happen will happen at the exact moment it's supposed to occur. It may seem like it's taking too longlike taking a longer path up the garage ramp than directly up the stairsbut He doesn't exactly operate on the same clock that we do. So be it.

I think the world needs more people like Laz and Disco, not only to provide laughs and smiles when you don't even want them to happen but also to remind you to slow down and have a little faith. You can't always do everything yourself, and that's not a bad thing.

Don't ruin the system.

No comments: