Monday, December 9, 2013

Beware of the beeping

I feel like I should know by now always to expect the unexpected.

You know, like the ATM machine eating your debit card.

Or the Icepocalypse wreaking havoc on your plans.

Actually, it was the ice storm that somewhat led to the temporary loss of my debit card. All of the branches of my bank in the area were closedif you don't know, almost the entire metroplex shuts down if there is frozen whiteness outsidebut I really needed to make a deposit before the business day ended Friday. Thankfully it's possible to do so via the ATM, so that was my plan.

It was not a solid plan.

I put my money in the provided envelope and sealed it, then I started searching for a pen so I could write my account information on it. I knew I had one somewhere. I could hear the ATM machine making the faster beeps to indicate you are running out of time, and then it spit my card out. It was then that I found a pen only to discover it was completely out of ink. Really??! In my frustration, I neglected my card for a bit too long, and the machine sucked it back in before I could grab it.

And it was gone. Forever. Well, at least forever for now.

Thankfully it's melting
I called the number on the machine, and there was no possible way to retrieve my card until the following week. Awesome. I left reminding myself just how stupid ice is.

But, the unwanted weather actually brought with it some positive moments in life. And a bit of nostalgia, as well.

Because of the unsafe roads that came as a result of the freezing rain and sub-freezing temperatures, the Dallas Marathon that was supposed to be run yesterday was canceled. I was set to run the half, so of course I was a bit disappointed that those plans were thwarted. I felt even worse for one of my friends, because she had worked her tail off for months training for the full and now felt like all of that training was for nothing.

Then fate stepped inAggieland was calling. We took a little road trip down to College Station for the BCS Marathon, where my friend ended up accomplishing her goal and qualifying for the Boston Marathon. It was kind of strange being back there and made me think of all of the memories I had for the brief period I was there in college. I hate to think of "what might have been," because my life would be a completely different story had I not taken the path I did, but I couldn't help but be reminded of so many things I let slip away by leaving Texas A&M. I felt like I was back at the ATM machinerather than seizing the moment, I waited too long until something was out of my reach.

Life isn't meant to be lived regretting your past mistakes or wishing for things that never were. And I don't intend to live like that by any means. But I do think it's important to take advantage of opportunities when they are right there in front of youthey are there for a reason, after all. Don't let ice or fears or doubts or unpreparedness or anything else get in the way of living the bold life you know you're supposed to live.

And always have a functional pen ready at a moment's notice.

No comments: