Monday, April 21, 2014

"You can sit here if you want"

I can sort of relate to Forrest Gump.

And it isn't because of the whole running thing.

I go to church every week by myself, and I sit alone in the same seat every week. I actually don't mind that much, as it's a great seat, and I have gotten to know some of the people who sit in the same area. Plus, I'm an independent woman (cue Destiny's Child), so I'm perfectly comfortable rockin' it solo.

But there's something about the Christmas Eve and Easter services that are harder. Maybe it's because a lot more people feel the need to attend church on those days, so there are many more complete families present. And then it just becomes a stronger reminder that I don't need to put a jacket or purse on the seats next to me to save them, because no one will be joining me.

I attended the evening Easter service yesterdayand I normally attend in the morningso I knew I probably wouldn't see many of the familiar faces where I normally sit. I set my purse down on my chair and went to say hello to my friend Jen. She is on staff at my church, and I always try to find her as soon as I get there every Sunday, because, whether you are happy, sad, ecstatic, mad, or any other emotion, she will make you smile. She is just one of those people. When she found out I was there alone as usual, she said so simply, "Come sit with us." Before I could even respond, she was making her three boys scoot over and make room for me.
Ironically, Jen took this pic

It's kind of funny that her name is very similar to the little girl on the bus who told Forrest, "You can sit here if you want."

What touched my heart even more is that her family members didn't just let me sit by them by tacking me on the end of the rowthey put me right in the middle. I felt so welcomed by people who, other than Jen, don't even know me. And, even when Jen had to get up and leave for a brief period to go make the announcements to the congregation, I felt perfectly comfortable sitting there with her family.

When people are so kind and genuine, maybe we all start to feel like we're peas and carrots.

I think God has a way of putting people in your way when you really need it. I was originally intent on sitting in my regular seatas I do not like change muchbut He knew I needed to sit elsewhere yesterday. He knew I needed to be reminded that I'm never completely alone in this world. He knew I needed my own Jenny (minus the ny) friend to say, "You can sit here if you want."

In the same regard, you never know when God is going to use you to touch the heart of someone else. By simply offering a smile or a few kind words to a person, you could be being a Jenny to that individual without realizing it. It's so small, yet so huge.

I don't care what other people say: I believe in fairytales, I believe in forever love, I believe in lifelong friendships, I believe in stuffed animals being meaningful things you have to hug while you sleep, I believe in ninth-inning comebacks, I believe in dreams coming true, and I believe in hope.

So I believe that, if you find yourself walking down the aisle on the school bus where no one seems to want to share a seat with you, there will be that one small voice that offers a place for you.

And I believe that, when it's a holiday when you find yourself alone and surrounded by families, there will be someone who reminds you that you're the daughter of a King and part of an even bigger family.

I believe in walking in boldness, for you're never really alone.

1 comment:

presenza said...

sweet sister, i love you more than words and will always have a seat for you!