Monday, October 20, 2014

When you're singing ABBA songs

I feel like ABBA really gets me.

And it's not just because I'm a dancing queen.

I remember years ago on Mike & Mike in the Morning, Mike Greenberg became obsessed with playing the song, "Take a Chance on Me" leading up to the NFL Draft. (If I recall correctly, he was mainly using it for Matt Leinart.) Thanks to hearing it so frequently during my morning commutes to class, I fell in love with the song. After all, I can totally relate to it.

I'm 30 now, and as I've mentioned before I've never been on a date. (Whatever. It's cool.) I have, however, found myself sitting on the sidelines singing ABBA's lyrics. If for some bizarre reason you are unfamiliar with the song to which I'm referring, allow me to help you out:

"If you change your mind, I'm the first in line
Honey, I'm still free; take a chance on me
If you need me, let me know; gonna be around
If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
Honey, I'm still free; take a chance on me
Gonna do my very best, and it ain't no lie
If you put me to the test, if you let me try
Take a chance on me; take a chance on me"

So, basically, the person in the song really wants to be given a chance.

I'm sure we've all felt this way. Maybe you were once the kid sitting on the bench just praying the coach would turn to you and tell you to get in the game. Or perhaps you leaned up against the wall at the school dances just hoping that someone would come take your hand to twirl you around the floor. And your own version of ABBA's song played in your head while you waited for something that never happened.

But all it takes is one.

It's sort of a fitting picture
In the 2000 NFL Draft, a quarterback didn't go in the first round…or the second round…or the third. In fact, he wasn't taken until pick number 199 in the sixth round. Perhaps you've heard of Tom Brady? He's kind of made a name for himself now, but it's because someone finally took a chance on him. And he wasn't even the top quarterback for the Patriots in his first seasonhe was the fourth string. But he didn't let that stop him from working to ensure that someone would take a chance on him again. I'd say that worked out pretty well for him. (By the way, it took a lot out of me to type all of that. I can't stand the Patriots.)

There are so many examples in life of people who have been persistent in their endeavors so that others will take chances on them. Some are famous actors, musicians, or athletes. But most are everyday people like you and me who have still had big dreams come true, because they waited for their chances.

All it takes is one.

I'm currently trying to get a book published, and I've dealt with some rejection thus far. It can be pretty disheartening when publishers or literary agents won't even bother reading it. But I'm hopeful that someone out there will take a chance on me. Because all it takes is one. And maybe some fella I fancy will actually return my interest, take me on a date, and sparks will fly forever. Because all it takes is one.

Maybe you are waiting for someone to take a chance on you right now, or perhaps you need to take a chance on someone or something. But, even if we don't get some of those chances we hope for in our lives, it's OK. Jesus took a chance on us when He died on the cross, and that's the greatest chance-taking there ever was, anyway. It opened the doors for more opportunity and more love than we will ever know from any other chances any people ever give us.

After all, all it takes is One.

No comments: