Monday, November 24, 2008

Coach Madness

I never realized just how much money some people are willing to spend.

I went to a Coach outlet today, and I was simply amazed at the prices of some of the purses and wallets there. It was unbelievable! And this was an outlet, so these prices were actually lower in comparison to the normal retail stores.


I also couldn't believe how insanely crowded it was. Seriously, as soon as I walked in there, I felt like I had entered a wilderness cave full of hungry, roaring beasts ready to attack. OK, so that's a rather extreme way to describe a bunch of women on a shopping frenzy, but, still, it was a sight to see.

I saw signs saying 50 percent off and 30 percent off certain items, so I immediately went to the sales areas. The original prices made me blink! Who would pay that much for a handbag??! Well, apparently a lot of people would. And they were doing it all around me.

One thing that really struck me was that some of the wallets were more expensive than a lot of the handbags. I pointed this out to one of the salesladies, and she told me it was so worth it. After all, they are specially made and guaranteed the last longer than a lifetime. Sorry, lady: nothing on this earth is going to last that long. Not even a little clutch made by Coach himself (I'm really not sure this is named after an actual coach...in fact, I highly doubt it. Clearly I have not done my research on this particular brand).

I had gone into this store to find a new purse for my mom. She never treats herself to anything frivolous, and she is in desperate need for a new purse. In fact, my dad told me that just the other day she was just complaining about how crummy hers is. My mom deserves so much more than a silly old Coach purse, but I figured it's the best I could do.

Oddly enough, I found a pretty good deal for her. I walked out of there with a perfect purse for my mom, and I had paid way less than the original price. The tag said the normal retail price was $300. This outlet store had charged $209, but, with the 50 percent discount, it only cost me $113 something with tax. (I say only very lightly.) I was only willing to pay that much money because it was for my mom. I would do anything for any of my family members, and it's not like my mom would ever expect anything so pricey. In fact, being the incredible woman that she is, she would be satisfied with a homemade gingerbread house or Popsicle-stick picture frame (both of which have already been given to her). But I decided that, after all she has done and sacrificed for me in my 24 years, she could use a little something to make her feel extra classy. (She doesn't need a purse for that, though. I mean it when I say that this woman is in a class of her own that surpasses any raging wild beast in the Coach Cave...and I don't mean to offend anyone who owns anything Coach-related. I just really love my mom and think no one compares to her.)

So, yes, my pockets were emptied today, and my eyes were opened even further to the greed and unnecessary spending that befall Americans daily. And, yes, I became victim to them, as well. But at least I will get to see the look on my mom's face as she opens her gift and is shocked and happy at the same time. And that will be a more beautiful sight than anything Coach could ever put on a shelf.

No comments: