Monday, March 9, 2009

I'm that kid who killed the curve...

I never thought I would say this, but I really miss being in school.

Yes, I am at school every day, but it's different when you are the one teaching. I am aware of how nerdy it sounds, but I miss having papers to write and assignments to read. I want to go back to being a student.

I've been thinking a lot about grad school lately, and I have to admit that I regret not going for my Master's straight out of college. I just had this ideal picture of myself being some kick-butt sports reporter, but I found out that wasn't exactly the dream life I had painted in my head. I'm glad I did it, because I always would have wondered what it would have been like, but now there is a part of me craving the graduate life.

I am definitely considering it now, but the idea of accruing more debt than I already have is a haunting black cloud hovering over my head. I've done the math, and I will be making monthly payments for the next (insert ridiculously high number) years. I'm not sure how badly I would like to add to that.

There are just so many things I want to do in life: get my novel published, run the Boston Marathon, get my Master's...the list goes on. I think another reason I didn't get this degree immediately was because so many people kept telling me I should. As usual, I had to be stubborn. You would think I would have learned by now that that normally doesn't get me too far.

My mom is currently trying to get into the doctoral program at UNT. I admire her so much for all she has accomplished, but I don't want to wait as long as she did to further my education. I would rather do it now. I crave learning; I love learning, and I am not so sure I am really that good at helping people learn. That was always my biggest fear going into teaching: learning things always came so easily to me. So, how effective can I really be at making sure others grasp the material? Maybe my real place is in the chair, not at the podium.

Perhaps I am just really tired right now, but one thing is for sure: I will get that degree. It makes me sickeningly excited thinking about writing more term papers and developing a thesis. Is it weird that I want to take the GRE?

Spring Break is now officially less than a week away. Praise God.

No comments: