Friday, June 5, 2009

I'm a Survivor

I officially survived Year One.

Yes, I made it through my first year of teaching. I know that this is something that a countless number of individuals have done, but I cannot begin to describe the sense of combined pride and relief I have in being able to say this. And, in spite of the fact that there were definitely moments when I thought I was on a road heading towards padded walls, I really enjoyed the school year.

I know that I am right where I am supposed to be.

This year really helped me grow in so many ways, and I learned my own lessons in life right alongside those students. It's incredible to be able to find those lessons in places you never thought you would and from people you thought you were teaching; but, at the same time, they were teaching you.

I am also incredibly fortunate for the awesome coworkers I have. I had so much fun getting to know them and learn from them, as well. It's a funny thing about being a teacher: as you are working so hard to teach others, you are constantly having people all around you pour lessons into you.

Sure, there were times when I really questioned why I went into this profession, but I think that can be the case with any job. It's hard to find something that is beyond perfect. By no means is teaching a perfect job, and by no means am I a perfect teacher. But it's quite apparent that this is the perfect thing for me. I absolutely love it.

However, that being said, thank God it's summer! Sure, we may love our roles as educators for the future of America, but we sure do need this time off. I'm pretty sure it's the only thing that keeps us sane.

Well, that and rolling chair races down the hallway on the last day of school.

No comments: