Saturday, August 8, 2009

A License to Change

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the new Texas license plates.

Sure, change can be a good thing sometimes, but I can't say for certain that this one is. I keep thinking all of these cars are out-of-staters just visiting the great Lone Star State. If I ever (and please pray to God that this happens soon) get a new car that actually has functional capabilities, will I have to suffer the scrutiny of other drivers trying to determine if I am a legit Texan?

Plus, there are now seven characters on the plate. Yes, seven. I know, I know...there are only supposed to be six. Now we have an extra letter or number to bog down our minds if for some reason or another we have to memorize someone's tags. Why would anyone do this to us? What have we ever done to deserve this drastic need for adaptation?

And I never saw any sort of document requesting my vote for what the new look of these plates would be. Did you? If I'm going to have to see these and possible have one on my vehicle, shouldn't I at least get some sort of say in how ugly or attractive they should be? (I just checked, and apparently there was an e-vote for the measure, but I don't think the one I currently see is even on there. Plus, the voting measure was not well publicized at all.) I'm not sure I even like the new look. It looks too much like something out of Montana or Nebraska.

And we all know that those states don't hold a candle to us.

Is this a ridiculous thing with which to concern myself? It's highly likely, but that is just the way things often go. You get a ridiculous blog post about something completely absurd.

Give me back my license plate familiarity, Texas Department of Public of Transportation. Please.

No comments: