Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The paths we never chose

I am often amazed with how things work out.

Even though I know you're not supposed to dwell on "what might have been," I don't think there is anything wrong with wondering every now and then. For instance, what would have happened if I had stayed at one college for my entire four years? Or, what would I be doing now if I had stuck with sports reporting? Would I still be living where I do now? Would I have the same amazing group of friends?

My mind can't help but take a brief trip to possibilities on occasion.

Despite the mysteries of things that never happened, I find myself more than thankful for what I do have and where I am now in life. I honestly don't know what I would do without my Cincas; I hate to think of how my life would be without the DRP and all of the incredible people and friendships I have formed with them (seriously, is there another group of people full of so much love and encouragement??! I think not.); I truly don't even like to think too long on what I would do if I weren't a teacher; and, of course, I thank God every chance I can for my family (BAM!!). Everything in my life fell into place exactly as it should have.

So, maybe it isn't so bad to ponder on how our lives would be if we had taken different routesit might make you appreciate where you are now more than you would have. But, I definitely wouldn't dwell on itafter all, you don't want to live in moments that don't truly exist. It's much better to be in the present, where there are always multiple pathways awaiting you, anyway.

3 comments:

Run For the Crown said...

LIKE.
; )

LizRaz said...

well said Nat..I'm going to have to keep re-reading this one :-)

Dubs said...

Love my Cincas! Love you being one of them! xoxo