Monday, December 20, 2010

Dear Santa...

I don't dislike Santa, but I do have a few things I would like to say to him.

(Side note: When I was typing, I accidentally misspelled the jolly man's name as Satan. I'm not sure if that means anything or not, but I felt it was worth noting.)

So, this year, if I sent a letter to the North Pole, it might read something like this:

Dear Santa,

The more I think about it, the more I wish Rudolph had turned you down when you asked him to bail you out that one year it was really foggy. I understand that it's rather exciting for innocent little children to anticipate your sleigh landing on top of their roofs and magically fitting your hefty frame down their chimneys and stuffing their empty stockings that were hung "with care." It's even almost cute that they think you can cover the entire world in one night.

That sure is a short time frame for someone who makes elves do all the work for him 364 other days out of the year.

I wouldn't have such a problem with you if you weren't such a spotlight hog. The excitement of you coming is all about presents; the excitement of you coming is all about greed. Remember Jesus? The excitement of Him coming is all about presence; the excitement of Him coming is all about eternity.

I don't know where you were born (your bio seems to be a bit fragmented and shady), but I doubt it was in a manger, and I really don't think it was an immaculate conception.

I know it's trite to say that people have forgotten what the true meaning of Christmas really is, but you're not helping the situation any. This time of year broods frustrationI mean, just take one look at any shopping mall. Chaos. Madness. Superfluous spending. It's not even about giving for most peopleinstead, they just try to pile up as many things as possible to try to satisfy others with items that will likely end up in a garage sale in a couple of years. And what do you do? You show up at these malls and pose for pictures with kids who believe you are the real deal. You encourage them to ask for more. You request them to make lists, and you have your own list. You supposedly have this huge book that classifies people as "naughty" or "nice," and you bring coal for those who have not lived up to your expectations.

You know what Jesus brings to those very same people? Redemption. You could learn a thing or two from Him. He offers so much more than anything you could pull out of your big red bag.

So, if I had a wish list, I would ask that you keep giving. However, I think you should give something a little different this yearI think you should step back and give Jesus the glory. Allow Him actually to have the spotlight He deserves on His birthday.

I mean, He did come to save the world, which is so much more than someone who had to be rescued by a reindeer can say.

Lovelovelove,
Natalie

No comments: