Saturday, January 15, 2011

Some like it hot

I think it would be an understatement to say that I hate cold weather.


Lately it's been colder than necessary outside, and I feel the need to dwell on this. Sure, I could try to be positive about the whole situation, but I would rather not kid myself. Cold weather is just evil.


The picture you see is of my mom and me at a flag football game. We may be smiling, but I was not the happiest camper. I'm pretty sure I wore about four layers that night, and that wasn't enough.


That being said, I've compiled a list of reasons why warm weather is so much better than frigid misery. These are in no special order other than when they popped into my head.


Why higher temperatures kick cold weather a*%:

1. It's not necessary to wear as many layers when you go running. I love waking up knowing that all I need to find is a sports bra and pair of shorts rather than checking the temps to see how many shirts I need to wear. It also makes laundry easier.


2. My fingers don't suffer as much from Raynaud's in the summer. Winter? It's so painful that I sometimes want to cry.


3. Dry skin and nosebleeds aren't an issue.


4. Baseball season.


5. I save so much money on my electric bill. (I've never turned on the A/C.)


6. I would much rather be sitting on a float in the pool than sitting next to a fire trying to get feeling back in my extremities. This is also difficult because I don't have a fireplace.


7. A pinkish-red sunburn is such a better hue than a purplish-black frostbite.


8. Two words: snow cones.


9. You don't have to run out to your car, start it, run back inside and wait for it to warm up, and then dart back out to it in hopes that it's been long enough that your heater will be at its full capacity when you turn it on.


10. I love the smell of sunscreen.


11. You can actually enjoy outdoor activities (without packing on multiple jackets until you look like the Michelin Man).


12. You don't have to factor in "wind chill."


13. Two more words: flip flops. (It's also one hyphenated: flip-flops.)


Honestly, there is only one thing (besides wearing scarves, of course) that is better about cold temps than warmer ones: fr**s are in hibernation.


Bottom line: cold weather is stupid.

No comments: