Friday, March 18, 2011

Blurred vision

I would be lying if I said I welcome the feeling of conviction with open arms.

Especially when it happens at Market Street.

For starters, going to Market Street can be frustrating, particularly if you are in a hurry. The people who work there are all about customer servicethey won't even let you carry your own bags out to your car. So, what might be a shocker to some, there is no self-checkout lane.

Say what??

Yes, it's true: they insist on serving you, which some people actually see as an inconvenience. This morning, I was guilty of that. I mean, all I wanted was to get home to my ESPN fellas, who were providing me with redundant March Madness analysis that I had already gotten on the early edition of SportsCenter and from Greeny and Doug Gottlieb on Mike & Mike in the Morning (Golic was out today). It also didn't help that I've had strep throat the past few days, which made me more impatient than usual in my grocery store endeavors.

I figured going to the store on a Friday morning wouldn't be too bad. After all, most people were working, right? Wrong. Apparently this is when most stay-at-home moms check everything off of their grocery lists. And, because it's Spring Break, they all had a little something extra in tow: children. The whining and begging for cavity provoking treats didn't help my pounding head. In fact, I think it caused me to add a few extra meds into my cart.

I finally made it to the check-out line. The lady bagging my groceries was moving like a slug, and she wasn't even doing it right. Who puts cold things in the same bag with bread??! I started having words to describe her run through my head, and they weren't very nice. Then, for some reason, this popped into my head: Well, how would God describe her?

Oh wow. Talk about a slap in the face.

Beautiful. Chosen. Loved. Cherished. Blessed. Precious. Redeemed.

My heart immediately softened toward her, and I couldn't help but thank her for what she was doing. I honestly wanted to give her a big hug, and I might have if it weren't for the counter and grocery conveyor belt blocking the way.

On my drive home, I started thinking about how differently we might treat people if we first stopped and reflected on how God views them. If I truly am living for and serving Christ, then I need to see others as He does: as precious gifts that need unconditional love and grace.

I am imperfect, flawed and in desperate need for others to be merciful. Why should I think others aren't in the same boat?

Love is so much more than just a word.

1 comment:

FlatBillRunner said...

So true. We ALL are guilty of this, take time with an open heart. Life is great!