Friday, March 11, 2011

I miss my crib

My left eye always twitches when I’m tired and haven’t gotten enough sleep.

I think my left eye has been twitching for almost eight years now.

I don’t remember the last time I got eight hours of sleep. Sure, I know it’s what you’re “supposed” to get each night (according to who knows what?), but some people just don’t have time for that. You can say that perhaps I need some lessons in time management, but I really don’t have time for that. After all, I am a very busy girl.

I snuck in a nap at a bridal shower once.
When I was in college, I started working a shift at the rec center in my city that started at 4:30 in the morning. I was already an early riser, but this took it to an entirely new level. I was so busy with so many other things going on in life that I didn’t always get those early bedtimes that I probably really needed. So, instead, I just got used to the habit of operating off about five or six hours of sleep each night.

Somehow even that amount now seems like a dream.

Somewhere along the way, those precious hours dwindled, and I would say four is the average at the moment. Healthy? Absolutely not. Reality? Check.

To be honest, just thinking about that makes me tired. Good thing Spring Break is here—can we say naps galore??! I try to get at least one nap in on the weekends, and this weeklong break will definitely help me in that department. Good thing I don’t have money to go on a vacation, because that would really put a damper on my napping life.

Until I get to experience this bliss, I’ve composed a poem of sorts to express my longing to experience (hopefully some day) extended slumber.

Studies show that newborns sleep an average of 16 to 18 hours per day. I miss being an infant.

Loss of this wonderful pastime can definitely result in moodiness. Just ask my mom when she calls me on a bad day.

Every time I think of you, I want to cuddle with Tie (my trusty Koala) in my bed with my glow-in-the-dark covers.

Endless dreams occur in your presence. Please take me to those.

Proof that I need more of you: my left eye is still twitching.

No comments: