Saturday, May 28, 2011

My BAM sibs

Growing up, I definitely didn't always like my siblings.

Now, I don't know what I would do without them.

These are two people who can drive me so crazy yet keep me incredibly sane at the same time. And it cracks me up how different they are.

Family photo shoot!
My older brother is very ambitious and knows exactly what he wants. He is currently getting his MBA and hopes to run his own business one day. He is also somewhat of a planner and operates on a very strict schedule. In fact, when I call him and ask him to do things that haven't been on the calendar for at least a few days, I don't always get the results I prefer.

My younger sister, on the other hand, is still trying to figure things out. She pretty much just takes one day at a time, and she could probably live her whole life without a watch and not be concerned about the time. Now, this doesn't always make the Skipper too thrilled when we have to be somewhere at a certain time for a family event, but the runt doesn't let that disrupt her calm demeanor.

One thing that made me laugh earlier this week was the different attitudes each of them had towards to weather. My sister used to be paranoid about tornadoes and would constantly ask us if we thought a tornado was on the way, even if the sky had no clouds and not the slightest indication that bad weather was anywhere near us. So, Tuesday night when tornadoes actually were in the area, and updates were interrupting television programs, my sister called me to make sure I was OK and to check that I knew how to take cover if I needed to. She even made me call her every 10 minutes to ensure her that I was still alive. She also seemed to have some sort of plan ready if a twister invaded her home.

Then I decided to call my brother, who had grad class Tuesday night right in the center of where many of the storms were. When I talked to him, it was clear that he knew nothing about the weather conditions and really didn't care. A girl in his class gave him a ride to his car (he had parked rather far from campus), and she asked him if he had an umbrella. He told her no, but he was wearing a Dri-Fit shirt. When she asked him if he had heard or seen that it was going to rain, he let her know that this was the reason he was wearing a Dri-Fit shirt. Duh. Anyway, I told him about the tornadoes and how he was probably driving right into them. He told me that he would drive straight into the eye of the tornado if he saw it. Nothing can stop Chris Merrill.

My siblings can always keep me entertained, no matter where we are. I will never forget when I brother and I drove out to Fort Worth for my sister's 21st birthday. Even though Chris bought Stephanie her first shot, it was cute to see how much he took care of her the rest of the night. We also have a blast every Christmas Eve when my mom insists that all three of us come back and spend the night at our old house. We go out to dinner with our relatives that evening, then we attend an annual Christmas Eve party where we usually all feel awkward and can't wait to get home. So, to pass the time, we make fun of our parents. That's a bonding experience in itself.
I'm the only one who wanted to take this pic.

It's funny how much things change over the years. When we were younger, we used to play this game called Bonkers on my parents' bed. The goal was to be the last person on the bed and to throw everyone off of it. We also had boxing matches to settle arguments. It was as if everything we did had to end with an individual prevailing above the rest. Now, instead of trying to break apart, we are always trying to come together. It's not a competition anymore. In fact, when our lives become bonkers, we're trying to help each other back up rather than be the last man standing. I think we've all finally realized just how important family really is in life. It's not about winning the individual titleit's about surviving and triumphing together.

One thing that's always stayed true, though, is that we don't let anyone else bring one another down. We've always taken up for each other, and this still hasn't changed. If any guy were to break my heart, I know my brother would want to rip him to pieces (after Skipper, of course). And Stephanie would have some choice words, as well. That girl is full of sass that unfailingly brings a smile to my heart.

I can't effectively put into words just how much my siblings mean to me. There were times when I was younger when I regretted not being an only child. If that were the case, my life definitely wouldn't be what it is today. Chris and Steph have helped make me who I am, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

As little kids, we constantly were outside in the street in front of our house. The street would have been empty if those two weren't there with me, even if all of the neighbor kids were out there, too. We paved that street together.

Now, even though we don't live on the same street, it's comforting to know that we are still paving the streets of our own individual lives together.

2 comments:

stephaniem said...

I LOVE YOU dear sister of mine!!!!!!

presenza said...

Yes, I'm reading all of your posts! This one pulled at my heart, and makes me happy that I got to see my brother this weekend!!!! Love me some Merrill siblings :)