Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Love the triple digits

I think this weather is beautiful.

In fact, I will be thrilled if we break the record for most consecutive days with temperatures greater than 100 degrees.

Now, I can't say that I enjoy every second of this heat. I mean, I sort of started melting when I walked to the pool this afternoon. And literally burning your feet on the concrete isn't the most pleasant feeling in the world.

But, I have found that there are simply some absolutely wonderful things a person can do to combat the blast furnace in which we find ourselves in the greatest state in the nation.

For starters, you can get to know some grocery store patrons better. I took a trip to Tom Thumb today, and I didn't even need any groceries. I just wanted to walk up and down the frozen foods aisles. I don't use air conditioning, so this was a slight change in temperatures for me. Refreshing.

This weather is also great for saving on overheating your home by using the oven or stove. I heard of someone who baked cookies in a car, and my friend Kebbers fried an egg outside. Sure, these things will take a bit longer than normal, but at least you can talk about how cool you are (quite literally, too!).

Concerts with your mom make you forget the heat!
One of my personal faves is floating in the pool with a good book. Just buy a float from Target (you can get one for $2.99, but if you need a loan, let me knowtotally worth it), and then relax as the sun and heat combine to make you feel hotter than those cookies made by the car baker. Your advantage: you are in water. It's fabulous.

Snow cones. Enough said.

Take your mom to an outdoor Brad Paisley concert with eighth-row seats. After the sun sets, your sweat might begin to dry a little. But, if not, Brad will make you forget all about it.

Yay for kayaking!
Take a nap. Naps are perfect for any type of weather. So, do the math.

Go kayaking. The heat seems to vanish when you are cruising in the beauty of the lake. As soon as you set foot on shore, you might start to sweat like a beast, but that's beside the point. The time on the water is wonderful. If you don't have a kayak and can't rent one, I do not recommend this.

Go running in the heat of the day. It might make you appreciate the little things in life. Like oxygen.

Fill a tub or bucket or children's pool full of ice, and sit in it.

Life is often what you make of it. It would be really easy to sit around and complain about how ridiculously hot it is, while people in other states are rubbing their cooler temps in our faces, but I say we should just embrace what we are given and look at this weather as being some kind of blessing.

After all, it makes snow cones taste even more delicious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excuse me... did you say "I do not use air conditioning?" Great blog, but after every paragraph, I found myself returning to these words!!

stephaniem said...

Hold on. Intervention: no air conditioning? This is a serious issue. How are we related? I