Sunday, October 9, 2011

Decide and conquer

There are times when I appreciate a little adversity.

I realize that not everything in life is going to be easy, and many challenges just have to be embraced and overcome. Sometimes that means something as simple as getting out of bed when your alarm clock goes off the first time. Sometimes it's something more seriouslike staring cancer in the face and deciding you're going to kick its a**. Regardless, we are all going to come across things in life that we really just want to go away.

Cue this morning. I woke up to my alarm, accompanied by the sound of something I didn't want to hear: pouring rain. I went to the Taylor Swift concert last night and didn't get to bed until 1 a.m., so waking up a little after 4 and realizing that, not only was I completely exhausted but now would also have to go get soaking wet, was not quite a comforting thought. I honestly just wanted to close my eyes and fall back to sleep, but I needed to get my long run in and make it to church on time.

When I got outside, I just kind of stared at the rain coming down, thinking about how nice it felt right then to be dry. I didn't want any part of the rain. I finally made myself take off and not even think about the fact that the rain was so cold, and I would be in it for a lengthy period of time.

But, after a few minutes, I became content. It was actually really fun getting that wet while doing one of my favorite things in the world. I have to admit that I was even a little bit sad when the rain died down about four or five miles into my run.

Just smile through even the coldest moments.
It's almost as if I needed some additional challenges after the rain stopped, because I took a turn that I knew would only lead me to one place: hills.

I live in a very hilly city, and there are some areas that are worse (or better, depending on your outlook) than others. For some reason, I was just craving the giant ones today. There were a few that caused me to utter not-so-nice things (all G-rated, of course) to myself, but I was thankful at the top of each one that I had taken that path. And, at the end of my run, I was grateful for both the rain and the hills.

Just like this morning's run, life throws all kinds of obstacles at us, and we have to deal with them. We have to face the rain that ruins our good hair days. We have to conquer those hills that set our legs on fire and leave us more breathless that we'd prefer.

We have to battle whatever elements decide to invade our lives. We can't always have flat courses; we can't always have clear, blue skies. Sometimes things are going to get ugly, but that doesn't mean our lives have to. As former NFL linebacker Keith Davis says: "Tough times don't last; tough people do."

When rain starts to pour in your life, just soldier through it. When it stops, just know that there might be a few climbs that follow. Tackle those hills (or mountains), and laugh at them when you've made it to the top.

Life's way too short to let adversity get in the way of sweet victory.

No comments: