Sunday, October 30, 2011

Slip 'n Sliding


There are definitely times in my life when I feel overwhelmed.

Right now is currently one of those times.

I just feel like I have way too much going on, and it's almost as if I'm standing and sinking in a pool of quicksand, but there is no one there to pull me out. Cue the scene from "The Princess Bride." (Love that movie, by the way.) Anyway, it's like I am reaching my hand in the air, but the sand is beginning to cover my bracelets, so I know my hand is the next thing to go.

Then, somehow and some way, my breath returns, and I'm standing on the outside of the trap of the sands of death, feeling almost refreshed and renewed.

God.

He's the only answer in times like these. You know, those times when you are trying to be a great teacher, an effective coach, a successful grad student, a caring friend, an avid fan, a fast runner, a loving family member, learning to drive a bus, and still trying to enjoy the rest of whatever pops up in life. If I didn't have Him, I would be at the bottom of that quicksand pit in a heartbeat, and there really would be absolutely no one there to get me back on solid ground.

If you think about it, life is a lot like a giant Slip 'n Slide: if you don't take off fast enough, and you don't have enough power behind you, you're essentially going nowhere, and you are going to crash and burn. And it will hurt. But if you decide to take on your task full-throttle and head-first with as much zeal as you can muster, you are going to coast a great distance in soaring fashion and have an absolute blast.

We were Slip 'n Slide champs. Thanks, Skipper.
I remember when I was little, my dad would always make sure that our Slip 'n Slide had plenty of water so that my brother, sister, and I could all be successful in our attempts at making it to the end without stopping. That's what God does for us every day: He provides for us. Even when it seems like our personal Slip 'n Slides are suffering droughts, or our quicksand pits are heavier and more daunting than ever, He is there to give us a hand, ensure we have enough water, or just plain carry us.

So, I have pretty much decided that I'm going to treat the tough times just like my days of the front yard Slip 'n Slide: I'm going to take off at full speed, dive into them head-first, and let a powerful force beyond my control take me where I need to go.

Just like my dad wouldn't let me fail on that yellow tarp, I know God will never abandon me. It's comforting to know that, even when things seem way out-of-control, my quicksand will never be too much, and my Slip 'n Slide will never run dry.

No comments: