Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Getting a boost


Every so often, we all need little boosts of encouragement.

And sometimes they seriously come from the most random things.

For me, today it was my sparkly high heels. You see, it's been a rough few days, and I've been weighed down with so much stress and anxiety, and I feel like more just keeps piling on an already overloaded plate. I honestly feel like I'm sinking in quicksand. Well, when I spotted these shoes at Target recently, I knew they were a must. I bought them without even giving it a second thought. After the past few days I've had, there was no question that I needed to let them grace my feet today.

Fabulous.

There's a picture my sister always sends me when I truly need it most. It's a picture of a precious dog with foofed-up hair, and it says: "B**** I AM FABULOUS." I don't even like cuss words, but I love this picture. The first time she ever sent it to me was perfect timing, and she periodically sends it to me as a reminder, especially when she knows I'm down or in a frenzy. After I called her on the verge of tears during my lunch today, she sent it again. She is the one who is truly fabulous.

So, I really had three boosters today: my glammed-up footwear, my pic to give me a smile, and my brief chat with my sister, who was nothing but wonderful as she offered me Godly encouragement. Even though none of those made my troubles completely disappear, they all certainly made things seem a bit more bearable.

What's so fascinating about it all is that, as I was thinking about how I feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders at times (yes, I realize it may be a slight hyperbole), I was also reminded that God has the WHOLE WORLD in His handsand that's absolutely no exaggeration. It's just straight fact. So, my seemingly huge issues are really so insignificant in grand comparison to what He's got going on. But the best part? He still actually cares for what's going on in my life. The grain of sand I am actually matters to the great beach He maintains.

I know stress and anxiety are factors in life, and I don't anticipate them vanishing from my life for eternity anytime soon. But I do know that I can take comfort in His love and mercy with each breath and each step I take.

How can you see this and not smile?
And when I need it, I know my sister, glitter, and fluffy dogs will be there to help me cope.

No comments: