Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I hope you dance


I often wonder why people don't dance more often.

But not organized danceI hate that.

Dancing is so great, especially when you don't really think about what you are doing. Instead, you just let the music let you move. You forget about what people think, what problems you have in this world, and anything that will remotely bring any inkling of stress back into your thoughts.

And you dance.

I don't consider myself a good dancer by any means, but I do find pleasure in shaking my thang on the dance floor. 

This morning I was thinking about how people often make "bucket lists" or simply set goals of things they hope to achieve before they die. They might include things such as: go bungie jumping or skydiving, join in on a march or parade, travel the world, own a boat, attend the Olympic games, get married and start a family, go on a cruise, ride a roller coaster, pet a dangerous animal, climb a mountain, meet a celebrityI'm sure I could go on with loads of other things I've heard people mention they want to do before they leave this place.

To be honest, though, I don't really have a "bucket list" of my own. I'm sure at some point in my life I've mentioned a thing or to I want to do "when I grow up," but I have decided I don't really want to have one of those lists. While I think it's important to set goals, I am going to keep them in a bit of a closer time frame. After all, I have no idea how long I have down here, and I would rather live in the time I have now.

With this in mind, that means life might be slightly riskier than usual. Apprehensive about a race because it's out-of-town and will take me out of my comfort zone? Sign up for it. Think my voice is too horrid to sing loudly at church? Belt it for Jesus. Too nervous to talk to the fella who captures my heart? Strike up a conversation. Feeling blue because I don't feel pretty? Wear my purple heels. Unsure about tasting something new? Give my taste buds something they don't expect. See some sprinklers on a hot, summer day? Run to them as fast as I can without thinking twice. Want to go outside but think it might be too cold? Put on a jacket, and brace myself for the chill factor. Want to let the world know that I love Jesus? Show kindness and love every single chance I get.

Get on that dance floor.
No one knows how long we'll be here, and we only get one shot at life. That's why I think it's so important to dance every time you get the opportunity. Who cares if you look like a fool? Who cares what people around you think? To Someone, that dancing is beautiful. To Someone, that dancing is better than the most pristine performance of Swan Lake anyone has ever seen. To Someone, that dancing is the dance of a lifetime.

I can't believe I'm going to quote Gaga on this one, but I think sometimes the solution you might be trying to find in life is simple: "Just Dance."

No comments: