Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Safety in storms


I can't say that I always agree with the saying "better safe than sorry."

I mean, sure, there are certain times when you really do have to play it on the safe side: always wear your seatbelt, take a hoodie with you everywhere you go in case it's chilly (thanks, Mom), don't always distrust expiration datesand those are just a few. But there are certain safety precautions that sometimes you just have to overlook.

And on occasion these moments make you realize how much of an idiot you can be.

That was the case this morning, when I decided to venture out and run and ignore the lightning and storm beginning around me. Genius.

I usually don't run in the lightning, but I really needed to get out there this morning. It's been a fairly rough week, and running always lets me escape from stress and anxiety (well, unless it's race day, of course) and spend time alone with my feet and with God. I heard the thunder, but I just kept lacing up my shoes, hoping that it would still be OK for me to get in my mileage before anything major happened. As soon as I stepped out of the breezeway, a huge bolt of lightning lit up the sky.

Thank you, National Geographic, for capturing beautiful danger on camera.
There was no rain falling yet, so I figured that perhaps it would still be safe. My logic obviously works best before the sun comes up.

I started running, and the thunder and lightning just kept on truckin'. And I just kept on ignoring it. I figured the odds of me actually getting struck were quite slim, and I told myself I would just dodge whatever electrical currents tried to come my way, anyway.

Yes, apparently I have those super powers.

I just continued doing what I love, and I got to do another favorite thing of mine at the same time: talk with Jesus. I needed that run more than anything this morning, because I needed to be reminded that I need Him more than anything. Even with all of the chaos surrounding my life right now, He should always be the central focus, and I really hate it when I forget that.

But the reminder hit me this morning more powerfully than any lightning bolt ever could.

I started thinking about the risk I took today, and I decided it was totally worth it. Sometimes there really are situations where you have to forget about what you think is "safe" and walk on the wild side, so to speak. And I think this should be most prominent when it comes to proclaiming the name of Christ. Even when you are among people who don't believe, you have to speak His name. Even when you are afraid to ask someone if you can pray over him or her, you have to let God take control and speak through you. Even when you are scared of sharing the Gospel, you have to allow the Lord's holy message to be proclaimed through you.

"Safe" is sometimes simply a word to describe our comfort zones, and there are too many times in life when we really need to step out of those and simply trust whatever God is asking us to do.

Again, there are obvious safety measures to which we must adhere, but there are still those to which we must not. Is running in lightning always the best idea? Absolutely not. But it was perfect for todaythe beautiful streaks across the sky and the loud banging of the thunder made me feel God and His power closer to me when I needed it most.

There are times when it is definitely better to be safe than sorry, and then there are moments where it is better to be brave than safe. When it comes to living for Jesus, I do believe the choice is obvious.

It's silly to try to ignore it, because it will hit you with more force than a lightning bolt and leave a thundering in your heart. Don't sit in safety; follow Him. After all, in His hands is the safest place you will ever be, anyway, regardless of what's surrounding you.

No comments: