Friday, April 20, 2012

You're my sunshine on a cloudy day


My diva baby sister is one of the most awesome people you will ever meet.

Whenever I attend weddings, my sister is always my plus one. I don't date much (or ever, actually), so I always ask her to tag along with me so that I don't end up awkwardly by myself, accidentally spilling water on some man's khaki pants then realizing it would be even inappropriate to try to clean up the mess (it happened once).

Now, my sister is sometimes socially awkward, especially when she doesn't know many of the people around her. For instance, last weekend at our most recent event, I was in the wedding, which meant that Stephanie had to sit by herself with the other people at our table until I got back from taking wedding party pictures. There were chocolate cake balls at each person's seat, and so she felt the need to announce this to her table by saying out loud: "Choc-o-late balls!" She told me she received no response other than blank stares. Big surprise there.

Best wedding date ever
Needless to say, the night was full of laughter sitting there with my sister in a crowd of people celebrating the love of two of my dear friends. It was such a great night, and I honestly have the Precious Diva (a.k.a. P-Divvy) to thank for the memories we made.

For starters, I got something stuck in my tooth and really needed a toothpick. I jokingly said to my sister, "I know you don't carry toothpicks around everywhere, especially to weddings, but I really need one." She gave me a "how dare you doubt me" look, reached into her diva bag (it is a golden Michael Kors bag that she fittingly named "D"), and pulled out an individually wrapped toothpick that solved my dilemma immediately.

Then, when I started performing "Love Story" for the bride and groomand the entire roomI think people were a little confused at first as to what was going on, so there was an odd silence, but it's OK, because my sister was there to make frequent shouts.

Sisterhood is such a special bond, and I love the fact that I can always depend on my sister to be there for me, especially when I need her most. Need someone to crack you up when she sends a video she made so that she can make sure her attire is appropriate? Done. Need a pep talk in the hallway? Done. Need someone to remind you that flinging a fork across the room and then trying to pick it up before the waiter isn't a good idea? Done. Need someone to tell you that you're fabulous with a picture that makes you smile every single time? Done. Need a hug and prayer when you're on the verge of tears? Done.

My sister is my best friend, and I would do absolutely anything for her. The Bible says in John 15:13: "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." What amazes me about this is that, even though my sister and I love each other so much, Jesus' love for us is even greater. Not only did He lay down His life for friends, but He also died for those who deny Him every day so that they may one day spend eternal life with the Father when they choose to accept Christ.

Relationships like those between sisters are very important in life, but our relationships with Christ surpass those far beyond measure. He will always be there for us. Whether it's making sure someone is there to give you a toothpick or wrapping His comforting arms around you when it seems like everything in the world is going badly, He will always be there.

Jesus doesn't hide from us, and He wants to be known by usall we need to do is open our hearts and let Him be.

No comments: