Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Skipper


Symbols often carry different meanings for different people.

Most people have distance stickers on the back of their cars to show they've achieved certain milestones by running those races. I have a 13.1 sticker on the back of my car, but I never actually think of running that distance when I see it. I've run marathons, and even the hated (and oddly/sickly loved) El Scorcho is farther than a half marathon. But, when I see that sticker, the only thing that comes to mind is how caring and supportive my dad is.

At the last half I ran back in February, I was really sore afterward and had some weird, miscellaneous pain in my lower back that the chiropractic and/or massage guy there said was something out of alignment and that he could take care of it. I gladly allowed him to start working his magic, so I got on the table and honestly thought I fell into some sort of a coma for a moment. At some point, my dad came over to tell me they were selling 13.1 stickers, and he wanted to buy me one. I told him the black with white writing would be better when he gave me the options, and he excitedly left to go get it.

When the magic man cured whatever pain had been wearing out its welcome on my body, I stood up, and my dad happily presented me with my new present. He said I should wait to put it on my car until laterthe weather has been crummy all three years at the Stonebridge Half, and this year was no exception with the cold rain. Then he said something that just made my heart smile.

"I know you've run marathons, but the half is kinda like your specialty, and I know it's your favorite. Plus, you need something to symbolize your three-peat."

In that moment, I didn't even care about any of that. All I could think about was how thankful I was to have my dad as my dad.

The Skipper kicks a**.
As I've mentioned before, my dad comes to all of my races and even calls himself my "Race Guru," which I think is absolutely awesome. He really takes care of me and makes sure I'm ready to go before each race. He carries my backpack while I race, and he and my mom always arrive about as early as I do so they can be with me from start to finish. He snaps his tradition pre-race pics and is always there waiting for me at the finish line.

I love the fact that my dad (and mom, of course) is my biggest fan, and he is always there for me in other areas of my life, as well.

When I was in college, I worked at a rec center in my hometown, and a volleyball pole fell on my head the day before my graduation. Thankfully, I was taken to the hospital where my dad worked, and of course he showed up when he found out what had happened. He even went to the vending machine for me when I spouted off the exact number of the Nature Valley bars' code that I had noticed when we passed it on the way in to the place where I got my head stapled. I'm sure my dad was probably supposed to be doing something else at the time, but he stayed with me, instead, while I panicked that my head was going to have to be shaved if I had to get stitches. (Thank God they don't do that for staples. Shallow, I know.)

Then, last summer we went on a family hike, and I was still recovering from a fractured hip injury. After what seemed like forever had gone by during this walk, my hip started to hurt quite a bit. My dad noticed when I fell back some and then offered to carry me the rest of the way. My dad had bilateral knee replacement surgery, and here he was saying he would carry his 26-year-old daughter up and down hilly terrain. (My sister then actually tried to carry me, but that ended up being an uncomfortable situation, to say the least, and so I insisted on walking.) But the fact that my dad was willing to risk his knees once again shows just how caring he is.

Skipper is one of the most unique and awesome people you will ever meet, and I can't thank him enough for how much he's done for all of the Merrill crew throughout our lives. He would do anything for us, and I love that about my dad.

What's even more amazing is that our heavenly Father loves us even more than that. He's even more than a Race GuruHe's a Life Guru who will always be there for us, cheering for us every single step we take throughout our journeys.


I'm an average runner, but my dad thinks I'm special. We may not always feel significant, but our Father adores us.

I love symbols and the truths they hold. My 13.1 sticker will always make me thankful for my dad. The cross will always make me praise the One who loves us enough to die for our sins.

Father's Day is definitely a time to be thankful for our fathers and our Father.

No comments: