Monday, December 10, 2012

Stamp my hand, stamp my heart


I think grocery stores are great places to have life-changing experiences.

There are just too many people you can possibly run into who say or do things that alter your world.

The other day I ventured into Tom Thumb thinking I would be leaving with a few more things for my pantry. What I didn't know is that I would also walk out with a heart full of hope and warmth.

When I was trying to navigate my way through some of the people in a crowded aisle, there was a little girl just standing in the way of everyone, not really caring that she was blocking the path where carts travel. Her mother was fussing at her, but she seemed to be intentionally ignoring her.

It was kind of funny, actually.

I was trying not to let the mother see the smirk on my face, so I looked down at the little girl and smiled. When I did, I noticed something in her hand, and she reached up to me with her ink-stained tiny fingers and said, "Want a stamp? It's a present." At first I thought she meant she was giving me a gift, so I figured I would appease her and let her stamp my hand. (Plus, she really didn't give me much time to respondI'm pretty sure I would have gotten the stamp regardless of what I had said.)
Precious present

Before I knew it, there was a precious pinkish purple stamp on my hand, and, sure enough, it was a present.

It's not like I had a bad day or anything that day, but as soon as I got my new ink my heart felt full of joy.

I began thinking about how so many times in life we're blessed with presents we really weren't expecting. Sometimes people will surprise you with the way they act or the things they say. You might get a random text from a friend you haven't heard from in a really long time; you could be the 100th customer at Chick-fil-A and get free food; you may receive a compliment from a stranger on a day when you really need it; someone might give you a sticker just because; you could come home from a long day at work to find someone already made you dinner; you could get a kiss in a gazebo under a moonlit sky; you could check your mailbox and find a beautiful Christmas card from an unexpected sender instead of just the usual junk mail and bills; you might find $165 sitting on the ground at the gas station; or you could get a treasured stamp from a little girl who was in no rush to go down the chips aisle with her mom.

I used to think I hated surprises, but now I'm finding that I'm starting to like them more and more. Life is more fun when you don't know exactly what's going to happen. Some of the most precious moments in life come when people smile suddenlyit's beautiful; it's wonderful; it's enchanting.

"Want a stamp? It's a present."

Yes, it sure is.

No comments: