Monday, December 31, 2012

Those movie moments


Some movies have moments that you just can't forget.

They are those epic scenes that have lasting power, mainly because of their boldness.

Think Braveheart: "Freeedddddooooommmmmmmm!"; Gone with the Wind: "As God as my witness, I'll never go hungry again"; Star Wars: "Luke, I am your father"; Dirty Dancing: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner"; Almost Famous: singing "Tiny Dancer" on the bus.

Or, you might be like me and prefer the cheesier type of flicks.

Think When Harry Met Sally: Billy Crystal's entire speech that ends with, "I came here tonight, because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible"; 27 Dresses when Jane interrupts a wedding reception to say to Kevin: "I think there's a pretty good chance that I'm falling in love with you"; A Cinderella Story: "Because waiting for you is like waiting for rain in this droughtuseless and disappointing"; Notting Hill: "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her"; How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days: "No I didn't, Ben, because you can't lose something you never had!"; The Cutting Edge: the end of the movie after Kate makes them do the really tricky ice skating move and then says, "I did it because I love you," to which Doug replies, "Just remember who said it first."

I may have reached a new low with one of my new favorite memorable movie scenes, but I really don't' care. It's just that awesome.

My sister made our family watch the movie Pitch Perfect on Christmas, and I thought it was going to be pretty ridiculous. Granted, it kind of is, but I actually ended up really liking it.

Especially one scene in particular.

At the very end of the film, during the final performance, Beca starts singing the song from The Breakfast Club that Jesse loves so much. She's obviously trying to win his love back after he had closed the door on her, and when she sings, "As you walk on by, will you call my name?" right before the "La, la la la," part, Jesse raises his hand in the air, and Beca raises hers as she belts her heart out, and the crowd goes crazy with cheers. It was really Jesse's silent way of saying he loves her and forgives her. The look on his face when he first realized she had incorporated this song into their medley was all you needed to see to know what was going through his mind and heart in that moment.
"I told you: the ending's the best part."

I think one reason I like this scene so much is because both Beca and Jesse let themselves be bold for the sake of love. There are lots of times in life where we have to step out and do things we fear: you might have to leave your job because you're being called to something else; you might have to sing out loud in front of other people; you might have to attempt to drive a standard on a public street; you might have to walk through a field on a dark night, not knowing just how many hoppers could possibly be lurking in the tall grass; or you might have to throw your hand into the air and let someone know you love him or her.

"As you walk on by, will you call my name?"

You'll never know unless you're willing to be a little bold.

No comments: