Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tossing gloves and love


There are often people looking out for us when we don't realize it.

Even in restaurant parking lots.

On Sunday, it wasn't super cold out, but I started my long run wearing gloves, because my hands get cold very easily, and I really don't like to have cold hands. But they actually got rather warm not too long into the run, and I ended up taking them off before we even reached four miles. Now, they are a pair of $1 gloves from Target, so it wouldn't have been a big deal if I had just ditched them on the side of the road, but, to be honest, I've become attached to them and didn't want to give them up. Plus, I justified it with the notion that perhaps my hands would get chilled later during the run (even though I knew this wasn't a plausible possibility).

Toward the end, we passed by our starting point with about a mile to go. So I just threw my gloves on the ground in the parking lot, figuring they would be just fine while we added on what we needed.

Don't always assume.

When we got back to the parking lot, Dan asked me where my gloves went. Oh no! They were definitely not in the spot where I tossed them and certainly nowhere else in the surrounding area. I know it's silly, but I was a bit sad about this. I loved those gloves.

Dan mentioned that maybe someone from Breadwinners or a parking lot attendant had picked them up, but it was too early for any parking lot people to be there. "But then there was the homeless man we saw walking down the street." Thanks for the reminder, Dan.

We had asked at the restaurant, but no one could really help us out. Then, alas! The owner walked out and told me he had seen me throw my gloves on the ground and had gone outside, picked them up, and then put them in the parking lot attendant box to keep them safe for me. He said he knows a lot of people walk around in this area, and he didn't know how long I would be gone, and he didn't want anyone to pick them while passing by the lot.

Some guy who didn't know a thing about me made a choice to take care of me.

There are still good people in this world.

No, losing a pair of cheap gloves wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's heartwarming to know that there are people who care enough about others to perform even small acts of kindness for others. And you don't have to be a restaurant owner to do so. Every day, we are given opportunities to care for others, and I think far too many times we let these chances slip through our fingers. It's not that difficult to wait a few extra seconds to hold the door for the person behind you; it won't harm you to bend down and help the person who dropped papers all over the floor; you don't have to move mountains to allow the car in the lane next to you to go in front of you; smiling at someone who looks like he or she may really need some cheering up is not the equivalent of performing brain surgery; giving a friend or coworker a ride homeeven if it is slightly out of your waywon't throw your world into complete chaos; letting your heart show a little bit of extra love won't bring about your downfall.

I think the world could use a lot more people like my glove herothose people God places in our lives when we least expect them. They seemingly come out of nowhere and can suddenly turn your disgruntled feelings into smiles of genuine happiness. And I think it makes those who help us feel better, too. Life is more enjoyable when you're letting love rule and giving a little bit more of your time and energy for the sake of selflessness.

After all, cold hands from tossed gloves need warm hearts to be there for them.

No comments: