Monday, February 24, 2014

You won't be rejected forever

It's not the end of the world to be turned down, even if it hurts sometimes.

I used to have somewhat of a fear of rejection. The idea of not being wanted seemed hurtful, and I didn't want to have to experience it.

Now I just don't care.

I've come to understand that rejection is simply a part of life. I mean, let's be honest, you've probably rejected someone or something at some point in your lifethe answer can't always be "yes."

I remember once in high school asking a guy I had a crush on to go see a movie with me. I wasn't meaning for it to be a date, but this was kind of a huge step for me, because I am usually a coward when it comes to being even remotely bold with guys I like. (Granted, I asked him over AOL Instant Messenger, so it wasn't exactly daredevil status, but it felt pretty significant at the time.) I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little upset when he declined.

He said he couldn't find his wallet.

Not a good note
I vowed never to ask any guy to hang out again. Ever.

Then, in my freshman year of college, I experienced the most rejection I'd ever known in the span of less than two minutes. There are a variety of freshman organizations at Texas A&M, and I had applied for four of them. People had told me these were great options for connecting with other people, making new friends, and overall just enjoying the college experience. I thought my interviews with a couple of them had gone great, and I was pretty sure I was a shoe-in and would have to make a difficult decision in choosing which freshman leadership organization (or FLO, if you want to be snazzy in the lingo) to be a part of for the rest of my first year of school.

And then I checked my mail.

I don't know how many people can say they've opened back-to-back-to-back-to-back rejection letters, but I sure can. I remember just sitting there in the Memorial Student Center feeling so unwanted. Rather than be strong, I took it as a sign that maybe I wasn't supposed to be at A&M, and it was one reason I didn't return the second semester. (Yes, I returned the following year, but that's a story in itself.)

Over the years, I've developed a different perspective on rejection and am not afraid of it anymore. One of my goals is to live life boldly, and you can't do that if you're constantly worried about doors being slammed in your face. There's something I'm currently pursuing, and I've definitely had multiple rejections come my way in the process. But, if Taylor Swift has taught me anything about going door-to-door to Nashville record companies trying to get people to listen to her music, it's that you have to be persistent.

You might not get into every college you want; you might not land every job for which you apply; you might have a guy turn you down when you ask him to see a movie; you might get turned down when you apply for a loan of some sort; someone might not accept your friendship request on Facebook (happened to me recently); or you might be the girl who is sitting by herself during all of the slow songs, because you're too afraid to ask anyone to dance.

Don't be that girl.

If nothing else, at least go twirl around the dance floor by yourself. But don't be afraid of rejection. It doesn't make you any less of a person if someone or something doesn't want you.

Because there is One who will never reject you once you accept Him.

No comments: