Monday, February 3, 2014

Your own love

I think mothers often instill wisdom in their children without even knowing it.

And sometimes in the silliest of circumstances.

My mom hates Porta-Potties. I mean hates them. She claims she is incapable of using them, which is unfortunate, because that's usually her only option when she comes to my races. But she continues to refuse to go near them, even if that means making a two-mile round trip walk in the bitter cold and wind to Albertson's and back like she did yesterday. While my dad and I thought she was ridiculous, she thought it was perfectly normal.

After the race, I was super cold and honestly didn't want to do any sort of cool down but knew I should probably jog just a little. My mom offered to run with me, which I thought was funny based solely on what she was wearing. Nonetheless, she ran with me, insisting we stop and rest for a few seconds at our halfway-mark tree. I love my mom, and I really love that she doesn't care about what anyone around her thinks of her.

Shortly after our brief jaunt, my mom told me about how on her walk back from Albertson's she found a knife laying on the ground on the side of the road. She said she didn't touch it but went straight to a cop at the race site and told him what she saw, noting "it was no butter knife." You might have had to see her precious expression as she was recounting all of the details, but I couldn't help but look at my mom in that moment and think one simple thought: I hope this woman loves herself as much as I love her.

We're told to love others as we love ourselves, but I think we often don't do so on the same level as we do to others. A lot of times we extend grace and sympathy to those around us, yet we aren't willing to offer those same gifts to ourselves. Instead, we look in the mirror and are quick to notice every blemish present; we are harder on ourselves than we should be when we make mistakes at work; we can't seem to forgive ourselves for the hurt we caused loved ones. But is that how we act toward others? Don't we first notice the traits we love and appreciate about those for whom we care so much? Don't we comfort others and try to make them feel better about situations when we hear about mistakes they made? Don't we forgive those who hurt us? (I realize that last one can sometimes take longer, but for the most part I think most of us know we eventually want to forgive people and move on with our lives.)

While I don't think we should go around boasting about how amazing we are and trying to make huge spectacles of ourselves, I do think we truly need to love ourselves as we do others. I adore all of my mom's little quirks, but I also need to value my own, as well. I'm silly and flawed, and there's nothing wrong with that. You have unique characteristics that make you you, and I hope you look at your reflection and know just how much of a gem you are. You are fearfully and wonderfully made by Someone who knew just what He was doing when He created you. Let that truth guard your heart.

And don't ever let anyone tell you that you aren't worthy of loveespecially not yourself.

1 comment:

Stephanie Suire said...

Wish I would have seen you at the race yesterday! I ran the 5 mile and left soon after the race because it was so cold. Congrats on the win! Sweet post about your mom...