Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Stars of the City

The Dallas Stars are our last hope.

All season long, I believed in the Cowboys. They just looked so darn good out there. Tony Romo was the man; T.O. behaved; there was no grumpy Big Tuna causing a ruckus. How did that end up working out for us? Ah, yes, a loss to the Giants, who went on to win the Super Bowl.

Then there are the Mavs. Sure, they didn’t have the best regular season, but I still had hope. After all, we had the best regular season last year but then lost in the first round of the playoffs in an embarrassment to the Warriors. So, I figured that maybe this time we could have a mediocre regular season and then come back with a vengeance to take the playoffs by storm. Then there was the stupid Kidd trade. Along came an appearance of apathy and idiotic comments by Josh Howard. Now we find ourselves with no Little General to lead us all the way.

The Texas Rangers…I believe I have already said too much.

Which brings us to the Stars. Who would have thought that a hockey team would be our final hope for a championship? I mean, most of the time people in this area don’t care much for hockey. This is more of a football area, and we have become more passionate for the NBA as the years have progressed. But hockey? We are proud of our Stanley Cup Championship from 1999, but I would say our first bragging rights would reference a few Super Bowl titles won in the same decade. After all, this is Cowboys Nation.

But the Stars are reeling in more fans as they prove to be the only professional team in the Metroplex that can handle playoff pressures. Can they continue this trend tonight in Game 6 against the San Jose Sharks? Let’s hope so. What will all the bandwagon fans do if they also show signs of choking when it matters most?

I am not going to lie: I didn’t follow the Stars this season as much as I did the Cowboys and Mavs, but I sure hope they get a win, even if simply for the sake of Dallas. The city needs a winner. Besides, what will sports fans watch if the Stars’ season doesn’t continue to the next round? I suppose it will become time to put on our Rangers hats and head to the ballpark in hopes of a World Series.

On a more serious note, it will be time to follow Cowboys mini-camps and pre-season training camp in no time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny!!!!

Did you stay up and watch the game? Rob says it was worth watching. He actually went to bed but woke up, finished watching the game, had to wind down, and then went back to bed.

Unknown said...

Thanks! I always enjoy your comments!!

I did watch the game. It was definitely worth it!