Monday, May 26, 2008

My Best Friend's Wedding

One of my best friends got married on Saturday. It's so weird that so many of my friends are doing that lately, but I was glad to be a part of Jenny's big day.

Jenny and I grew up together, and we have a lot of great memories. There was the time I tried catching bees in her backyard because she was afraid of them. After I got stung, we got her dad's thick gardening gloves, then we just started trying to catch the bees in old hermit crab cages. Then there was the time in sixth grade when we helped our friend Sara drag around a stuffed pig, Hamptonian III, on a leash. Yes, middle school is awkward. We once put on a performance for her parents where Jenny hid under a blanket I had wrapped around me and sang a "My Fair Lady" song while I pretended to be singing. She had the better voice.

We also had this special tradition that we called "Duel Time." We would be swimming in her pool, and one of us would declare it "Duel Time," at which point we would beat each other senseless. The first person who called it quits obviously lost. I will also never forget the New Year's Eve when Jenny started counting down from 12 minutes when I was trying to sleep. Needless to say, I wanted to call for "Duel Time" right then, but that was strictly reserved for swim time, so I put up with it for some odd reason.

There are so many other memories that come to mind, and I will always cherish every single one of them. I also look forward to the many other crazy adventures I'm sure we will have in the future. Jenny has always been there for me, and I know she always will be.

Now she is married to Michael, an amazing guy whom she has been dating since our sophomore year in high school. They truly are a perfect match for each other, and it was such a privilege to be involved in their wedding. I am 100 percent sure that their marriage is one that will last forever. They just show so much love for each other, and there has never been a question in my mind as to if they would last or not. Just spend one moment with them, and you'll know for sure that it was meant to be from the beginning.

I usually don't like having to go to weddings much, but the truth is that weddings are beautiful things, and this one was no exception. In fact, it was by far the most beautiful wedding I have ever attended. Plus, it was such a blast! The Emerald City Band played all night, and that dance floor was hoppin'!

I wish that everyone could find love like Jenny and Michael and be able to share such a wonderful experience. I think one of my favorite parts of the night was when I was running to the bathroom, and Jenny stopped me to say, "Natalie, we have to go dance to this song! It's the last song from
Get Over It!" And she was right; we couldn't miss that! So, I spun around really fast to head in the other direction and ran right into some stairs, cutting and bruising my forearm in the process. Sure, it hurt, but it was just another memory about which Jenny and I got to laugh and add to our memory bank.

No comments: