Tuesday, July 29, 2008

That Was A Bit Weird

I attended a workshop in College Station this weekend, and it was quite an odd flashback to my past...one that I don't really care to remember all that much.

I went to Texas A&M University for a year and a half, and I hated it. People who go there are normally wrapped up in all of the traditions and cult-like practices. Not me. I wasn't even a "two percenter," as those not quite up to par in the school spirit department are labeled. I called myself more of a negative eight percenter or so. I couldn't stand any of it, and I was glad to escape the madness. I never went back there...until last Friday for this publications workshop.

Besides a few more additions of restaurants and shopping centers, not much has changed in Aggieland. They still bleed maroon down there. Even though this workshop had nothing to do with people wanting to attend the school, the Yell Leaders still opened up the workshop for us by teaching us various traditions and then having us partake in some yells with them. Needless to say, I chose not to partake. It felt way too much like I was taking a giant step back into a dark part of my past that I just want to erase.

The entire four days that I spent in College Station almost seemed surreal. I hadn't been there in so long, and a bunch of memories began flooding my mind at certain points throughout the workshop. Sure, I had some good times while I was there (it's always best to find the good in everything, right?), but the overall experience was just plain awful. I really never wanted to go back to the campus, and I don't think I will be returning there anytime soon. It's just too...too...weird.

The good thing about this workshop was that I had good company with me. It was for part of my new journalism teaching job, and I am glad I got to spend some time with my co-workers. We had some really good times, and those helped to overshadow the bad vibes I get every single time I am in Maroontown.

We all have had crummy experiences in life, and I guess that we eventually have to face them again on occasion—even if it involves surrounding yourself with Aggie crazies.

No comments: