Monday, September 22, 2008

Let Me Serve!

At times it is really peculiar how some things work out.

I have been thinking about service a lot lately and striving to be more of a servant in my own life. Then, of course, it was a topic of discussion in church. We are to be imitators of Christ, who gave the perfect example of what service is. I mean, dying for the sins of the world is a pretty big sacrifice if you ask me!

So why is it so hard for us to do even the smallest things for other people? I am guilty of this so much that it's rather sad. Too often we get consumed by our own selfish ambitions that it's almost impossible to see those around us who are in dire need of help.

I love those commercials where the people see others doing small acts of kindness and then are inclined to do a favor for someone else. It's a chain of service that loops back around, and the viewer gets to see the person who initially started the commercial. True, not every single person who sees you serve someone is going to repeat what you did, but there is the slightest chance someone could, and that's pretty cool.

Plus, serving others is what we are called to do. If we are not living with a purpose, then why are we even here. My purpose is to live my life for Christ every single day, serving Him as I extend love to others. The only problem is the sinful hypocrisy that gets in the way when I am too tired or absorbed in my own little world to see the needs that are really out there.

So, my goal is to start serving more. If not, I am really just being rather useless.

If you need anything, let me know. I am here to serve. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you wanted to take Robert for a run, that could be arranged...and appreciated. :-)