Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Looming 24

It's so weird to think that I will be 24 in less than a month. I know it's not really considered "old," but it just seems like it got her so fast! Since when did I become a grown up?

I feel as if there are so many things I haven't done that a 24-year-old should have done by now. I know there is no template to what a person this age should have experienced, and I realize that some people are allotted more privileges than others, but there are some areas in life where I feel like I have been left behind to a certain extent.

I still have never left the country. Not even to Mexico. Yes, I would love to be able to go to places in Italy, France, Australia and various other foreign countries, but I just haven't gotten the chance yet. I mean, I haven't even ventured as far as Hawaii. And, though this seems rather un-American, I still have not yet made the trek out to Disney World. I know—it's shameful.

It is also strange at times to think how many of my friends are either engaged, married or expecting a little bundle of joy pretty soon. I am still waiting on my first relationship. My first kiss. My first date. When I was a little girl, I determined that I would be married by the time I reached 24. Clearly that will not be happening.

I have also never been to any of those tanning places. They kind of creep me out.

Don't get me wrong: I am definitely thankful for the things I have done in life and the opportunities that have been afforded to me. I guess I just feel like there are times when I wonder if I have wasted time in these 24 years not doing certain things. Then again, I am happy with the things that have occurred in my life and the people who have been there along the way.

I mean, I really don't feel too deprived that I haven't been to another country, because I have gotten to stay close to my family longer.

And, even though I have never gotten that dating experience, I don't have any regrets or terrible heartaches lingering over me. I know that if I am meant to be with someone it will happen on God's timing and not my own.

And I definitely am not crying about not going to fake tan.

Though these 24 years have gone quickly, I have made some great memories with the opportunities and people placed in my life, and I don't think I have really missed out on too much. Plus, I hope that there are many years ahead of me to get to experience those things that I haven't yet.

1 comment:

Rob said...

The men out there don't know what a great gal they're missing out on. A Godly woman who is smart, pretty, AND a sports fan: what more can a guy ask for?

Missed you at Mike and Mike: Anna would have been happy to chatter with you for another four hours. :-)