Saturday, January 7, 2012

Beholding beauty


I don't get art.

I'm not a museum-goer, and I could never be one to stand around and try to interpret these "masterpieces" that others created. It doesn't matter if it's some famous work by an artist whom everyone knows or some lesser-known hopeful spirit with a treasure now displayed for the public. To me, it's just another creation that is beautiful to some and meaningless to others.

While I don't always understand art, I still try to appreciate it, because I know it's significant to the person who made it.

This desk and the person who painted it are beyond beautiful.
One reason I don't necessarily find intrigue in standing in front of sculptures and paintings and talking about them endlessly is because I have other interests (i.e. sportsI would much rather debate whether or not a receiver's foot came down before he stepped out of bounds than the message a painter was trying to convey in his picture where it looks like the sky is attacking the earth). But, at the same time, I can look at these pieces and know that, whether I recognize it immediately or not, these creations are indeed special, because people took the time to make them. They focused on intricate details and took personal care in ensuring these things were perfect in their eyes.

Even if I never understand art or find meaning in paintings and whatnot, it really doesn't matter. Each piece is special to its creator, and it's fabulous in his or her eyes. Who cares if outsiders stand around and degrade the works or go gaga over them with praise and accolades? It's beautiful to someone, and that's what really counts.

It's similar with God. We may not always like the way we look, or we may receive insults from those around us, but our Maker thinks we are beautiful. I think that's why it's also important for us to find the things in other people that make them so precious and so loved. God created each one of us uniquely, and who are we to belittle anyone created by the greatest Artist of them all? We are all pieces of art that He made to dwell one day in the most amazing museum one could never even imagine.

I am going to make it my own personal goal to keep these things in mind more. Even though I may not appreciate abstract art or interpretive art or anything like that, I can surely find the specialness and beauty that my Maker put here on earth.

If it's fabulous in His eyes, then it should be no less in mine.

No comments: