Saturday, December 31, 2011

Another one bites the dust


Many things in life really don't last forever.

Like ankle bracelets.

My beloved treasure lived on my ankle since the summer of 2008. I chaperoned a beach trip for the middle schoolers at my church, and a few of the girls and I bought anklets to commemorate the trip. As you may have noticed, I get attached to things pretty easily, and this anklet was no exception. There was originally a dolphin charm that was on it, but that poor fella had to make a quick exit, because it annoyed the heck out of me when I was running. Other than that, though, that piece of intertwined yarn jewelry was nothing but awesome.

Goodbye to you.
About a week ago, I noticed my anklet was beginning to thin out at one part, and I feared that nothing but the worst was in store for this darling adornment. Unfortunately, I was correct.

It's not always fun to be right.

Sure enough, after my run the other morning, I took off my sock and felt a rip. Then, I heard something softly hit the ground, and I knew the disaster was a finality. It took all of the courage I could muster to look down and face the sad truth: my precious anklet was no more.

These tangible things we have in life will not last. They are all just temporary pleasantries that stay with us for a bit and then leave us forever. It's sad sometimes, but it's simply reality.

The good news is that Christ is not like that at all. He's forever. He won't leave us, and He sure won't fall apart like a cheap, worthless anklet. It's so amazing that we have someone who cares so deeply about us. While my ankle bracelet left me standing in my laundry room with a frown on my face and a piece of my heart missing, Jesus won't. In fact, He will even be there to comfort us when the things or people of this world leave us in brokenness.

It was a good three years with that anklet, but they were nothing like the forever I have with my main Man.

No comments: