Monday, January 27, 2014

Clear the table

There are times when you can find true value in lyrics in Ace of Base songs.

Like Don't Turn Around.

Last week, I was at dinner with some friends and turned to see something on a table that people had just left that reminded me of something from my past. It's possible I then suggested that table should be set on fire, a reaction my friend I said it to scolded me for having. He reminded me that I don't need to look back but should instead focus on now and what's ahead.

I'm not going to lie, at first I was quite frustrated he wasn't agreeing with me. I mean, shouldn't he be busting out a pack of matches at that point to torch that sucker?? (Totally kidding, sort of.) But I realize he had a valid point, though I didn't necessarily want to acknowledge it at the time.

We glanced back again, and the table had been cleared of everything as if nothing had been there before.

What had been was all just a distant memory.

We all have recollections from our pasts that perhaps we would not like to let enter our minds, but sometimes they jump out at us unexpectedly. While it's not always as easy as simply making them disappear with one fell swoop, it's usually best to clear that table as soon as possible and not focus on what will only bring you down. If it's something that never was, there's no point in dwelling on what might have been; if it's something that truly hurt you, it doesn't make sense to let it resurface and cause you more unnecessary pain.
Make room for the now

We can't change the past. It happened. And I do think it's quite important to live in the now in reality and not in things we once hoped foryou don't want to end up like Uncle Rico. How can you be living life to its fullest and making way for a great future if you're constantly looking behind you? Instead, it's best to clear those tables and stop turning around to look at what was once there.

Things that happened once upon a time are necessary, as they are part of each of our own unique storiesthey help shape the people we are now. But there's a reason we aren't living in that time anymore; there's purpose as to why those things once were but are no more; there's a plan made by Someone much wiser than we are, and we just need to trust that He knows what He's doing.

After all, if you just leave all of the old, dirty items on a table after people leave, there's no room for the new, wonderful opportunities that enter your life at the exact moments they are supposed to do so.

No comments: