Wednesday, April 8, 2009

And runnin', runnin'

Surprisingly, I'm not sore today.

Yesterday, I did a speed workout on the track for the first time in a really long time. And I mean a really long time. I even did it after school, when my energy is normally next to nothing.

But, somehow, I was fine.


I decided to do repeat 400s, and I was seriously nervous that my times were going to be ridiculously slow. But they weren't. In fact, they were a little better than the times I ran for repeats when I was in high school and college.

I'm not trying to brag, it's just certainly something I wasn't expecting. In fact, after the first one, I was sure that my times would start getting worse each lap and that I had just gone out too fast. To my almost complete shock, my times actually got better each lap. And, trust me, this is definitely the boost I needed, because it had been a long and draining day.

After I finished the speed work, I went for a run around the neighborhoods near the track and just basked in the sunshine and beauty all around me. I love running so much that I sometimes have trouble putting it into words.

I really want to start racing more, too. I've just because so busy and exhausted, and, let's face it, races aren't exactly free. But I really miss the feeling of catching people and striving to reach a certain clock time when I cross the finish line. I miss knowing that I am in the lead and need to maintain (or pick up) my pace if I want to add another victory. I miss crossing the line and feeling like I had given every ounce of energy I had, but I still want to run more. I want to get back into this.

Whether it's running or something else, I think it's important to have a passion or something that brings you true joy. If I didn't have running in my life, I might need some padded walls. It's just too easy to get caught up in work and the constant stresses of this world, and I love that running can allow me to escape for a brief moment in time—allow me to clear my head and be with my Lord while I relish in his creation.

Maybe that's one reason why I'm not sore today: I just love it too much.

No comments: