Friday, October 22, 2010

The journey back

I think I might be a runner again soon.

So, as I have said previously, I've been running on the Alter-G while suffering through this pelvic fracture issue. I started off only being able to run on 20 percent of my body weight. I rejoiced when I made it to 50 percent, and I thought I was going to cry (happy tears, of course) when I was able to run on 67 percent at six-minute per mile pace for six miles. Needless to say, I have been pretty pumped lately, and I was really looking forward to whatever workout I was supposed to have last night.

Then in walked the curse of germs.

Working at a public high school can have some negative side effects, one of which just happens to be overexposure to the germs and viruses that the precious little children bring with them in the building each day. Normally, I don't get sick often, but I usually have at least one unfortunate spell with the whole sore-throat-achy-body-stuffy-nose-pounding-head thing.

Welcome, Thursday morning.

The whole day was somewhat blurry and full of fatigue (possibly because of the NyQuil I took Wednesday nightthat stuff will knock you out). I wasn't as excited as I should have been for Alter-G after work, but I decided I was going to go, anyway. With each hour, though, I started to dread more and more the idea of running stationary while my body ached and my nose ran probably faster than I had the energy to go. Ugh.

When I showed up, the doctor was still out-of-town, so his wife was running the show. She took one look at me and told me to leave. When I told her I really only came because I didn't want to break the 24-hour cancellation policy, she said this was exception and that she would not charge me for this session. Then she shooed me out the doorwell, first she loaded me up with a can of soup and multiple packets of a Vitamin C supplement. Even though I think she might be on Speed, she cracks me up.

On the way home, I had this strange urge to stop at the Cooper Center and walk a few laps around the outdoor half-mile track. After one lap, I decided I was going to try jogging a bit. I said a quick prayer beforehand, something along the lines of: "Lord, please don't let me do anything that will hurt me more. Don't let me take this next step if it's going to be a stupid decision."

But I took that step.

The next thing I knew, I was runningI ran a whole mile on my full body weight. It felt amazing. I hadn't run in so long, and I missed it terribly. Even though it was pretty slow and extremely short, it was perfection.

This morning, I went to a school track and ran 1.5 miles. Baby steps.

Maybe I always was still a runner, but I'm now on the journey back.

1 comment:

LizRaz said...

You ARE a runner my dear :-) Welcome back!!!