Thursday, October 28, 2010

Running is love; love is running

I'm in love.

I've been mentioning lately how I've started back to running, slowly but surely. Well, this morning I did a course that I used to do on Fridaysmy "short and easy" runs. Can I just say: it felt absolutely fabulous.

Sure, I wasn't going as fast as I wanted to (I'm definitely still playing the cautious card), but it was wonderful, nonetheless. After two months of misery and frustration, things seem to be falling back into place. Finally.

The whole time I was running this morning, I just kept thinking about how much I love running and how deeply I had missed it while I have been dealing with my stupid injury. It then occurred to me that this is how some people feel about other peopleand I feel it about running. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with that, but I honestly didn't care at the time.

If you think I'm crazy for comparing running to the 1 Corinthians love passage from the Bible, then go ahead and stop reading, because I'm totally going to do it.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
"Love is patient" (Not being able to run involved more patience than I've ever had to have, and I'm a teacher!!)
"Love is kind" (Running has always been so kind to me, and I feel I have returned the favor.)
"It does not envy" (I run with really fast people, and I don't envy themI just respect them beyond belief.)
"It does not boast" (I don't brag about how fast or slow or long or short I runI just run.)
"It is not proud" (The explanation for this is quite similar to the one previously mentioned.)
"It is not rude" (How could anyone think running is rude? Running is the antithesis of rude.)
"It is not self-seeking" (Running helps peopleenough said.)
"It is not easily angered" (I find that running actually calms me down if I'm angry for whatever reason.)
"It keeps no records of wrongs" (When I hear this, all I can think of is a PR.)
"Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth" (Even when my friend Anil was dressed in a devil costume and running next to the athletes in a half-Ironman triathlon, the participants just kept running, and they were probably even more motivated with the epitome of evil running alongside them.)
"It always protects" (Not only does it protect people from getting out-of-shape, but it can also help you to be faster when running away from the boogie man.)
"always trusts" (I know I can always count on running to be there for me when I wake up in the morning. Even when I'm broken, it's still going to be there for me, and it won't ever turn its back on me.)
"always hopes" (During times of struggle, particularly injuries, there is always hope to be able to run again. There's always also the hope for another PR, another accomplished distance, another obstacle tackled.)
"always perseveres" (Just look at someone running and tell me if he or she does not define perseverance in that moment.)

Yes, I just wrote an entire blog entry about my love for running. What can I say? I missed it!

Maybe someday I will blog a love entry about a person, but this will suffice for now.

1 comment:

Run For the Crown said...

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

And now these three remain: swim, bike, and run. But the greates of these is run.