Saturday, October 9, 2010

This is what 26 feels like

I turned 26 today, but I'm really not sure much has changed since that Sweet 16 birthday.

Sure, I have been through 10 more years of life experiences, I live on my own and have a job, and I am no longer in high school anymore. But, I teach at a high school, so I have that whole atmosphere of insecure and giddy teenagers surrounding me.

Clearly it's time to compare my life from a decade ago until now.

My 16th birthday really wasn't that spectacular. Sure, I could legally drive from then on, but I didn't do anything special to ring in that age. I didn't even have a party. Turning 26 was much of the sameI took a nap, which people my age might now consider a party. Woohoo.

Ten years ago, I had never been on a date, never kissed anyone, never had a boyfriend and never had someone fall in love with me. Nothing has changed there.

Just like when I was 16, I spend more time watching sports than anyone I know.

I still get paranoid about hoppers; I would still rather run everywhere than walk anywhere; I still don't know how to cook; I still can't drive a standard; I still hate malls; I'm still the same height; I still don't own any make-up (or know at all how to use it); I still have never left the country; I still sleep with Tie, my stuffed koala; I still can only eat Tic-Tacs in twos.

But, there are some things have changed since I became an owner of a driver's license.

For starters, I wore Asics until after high school. But, when I tagged them as the cause of a few stress fractures, I switched over to Mizunos. That was definitely one of my best decisions ever. Also, I feel that it's worthy to note that I'm a lot better at microwaving mac 'n cheeseI think I have finally mastered the right amount of water to use.

I wear a lot more skirts and dresses (I guess I really am a teacher, huh?); I am not a vegetarian (that really didn't last very long); I have a much better vehicle; the Rangers are actually good (I predicted World Series this season during Spring Training); I have fallen in love; I have pancreatitis; I don't chew as much gum; I live in a different city.

Obviously there are plenty more of things I could put on a Venn diagram, but that might be as silly as the little list I just made. The bottom line is that these 10 years have flown by pretty quickly. I am so thankful for everything that has happened, because it has led me to where I am today. It will be interesting to see what this blog says when I turn 36.

Maybe then I will at least have gone on a date.

2 comments:

LizRaz said...

Ohhh Nat you're so awesome! 26..hmm I can't even remember what I was doing when I was 26 :-) You're a rockstar that's all I know and as far as the "boys" department is concerned you're lucky in so many ways...the right person is out there and it will happen when the man upstairs is ready for it to happen :-) love you girl! and I can't wait to celebrate your 26th bday with you but (I really can't wait to celebrate your 36th!) :-)

Run For the Crown said...

You forgot to mention a couple of things you have done in the past ten years:
1. Run two marathons;
2. Won a multitude of races;
3. Coached, taught, befriended, influenced, and inspired tons of people;
4. Made me laugh every day since I have met you;
I think these things are pretty important. : )