Friday, November 5, 2010

"Toy Story" sorrow

I never thought I could have such a sad experience in a frozen yogurt store.

My good friend Kebbers and I met yesterday afternoon for froyo, which is normally a time of undaunted happiness. I mean, it started off that way yesterday, as well, but we were not anticipating the sorrow that still remained to befall us in such a quaint little venue.

From our entrance, we noticed "Toy Story 3" playing on the television in the corner. Most of the time some movie or Disney show is on, and I generally don't pay much attention to it. I love the "Toy Story" series and haven't seen the final one, so I glanced over multiple times during our conversation, even though I could tell it was probably close to the end.

This was a bad decision on my part.

*NOTE: SPOILER ALERT!

So, we continue chatting until I notice some boxes on the screen as Andy is getting ready to go to college. Woody jumps out of his box and runs over to another and starts writing something on a Post-It note. He sees that Andy is coming, so the camera focuses on Andy, and the audience doesn't see if Woody went back to the box labeled "college" or if he hopped into the one being donated, which contains all of his friends.

My heart stopped.

Sure, I don't want Woody to part from Buzz and the rest of the gang, but I also don't want him to be eternally separated from his best friend forever. This was obviously an emotionally climactic point for meI'm not sure the little tots in there understood what exactly was happening. By "what exactly," I mean the disastrous events that left me feeling despondent and almost without hope.

Friends, Woody went with the toys. When Andy found him in the box and realized he was going to have to leave him behind, I didn't know what to do. I was trying so hard to be brave. Kebbers knew the pain I was feeling.

"Don't you dare break your no-cry streak!" she cautioned.

No worriesI didn't let my eyes leak. But it surely was a close call.

I told Kebbers that I would never be able to give up Tie, my trusty koala without whom I cannot sleep. Seriously. (I once turned around and drove back home to get him once when I was spending the night at my parents' house, which is about 30 miles away, because I left him at my apartment. I was one exit away from where they live.) Anyway, Kebbers noted that Tie doesn't have any friends. Good point, but it was still a rough time for me in that froyo moment.

I still can't believe that Woody is forever separated from Andy. Kebbers even tried to tell me that there was an alternative ending, but I know the reality of the situation.

My sorrow goes to infinity...and beyond.

1 comment:

LizRaz said...

hahaha! Oh Nat, I'm glad Woody went w/his buds! Sometimes we have to leave the "nest" ya know to venture out on our own :-) xoxo