Wednesday, November 17, 2010

An underrated desk dweller

I think Wite-Out represents a lot more than just simple correction fluid.

It is a parallel substance to the way we live our lives.

I mean, think about it: absolutely no one is perfect, and there are so many times in life where we would like to go back and correct things. Sometimes we just scribble through the mess and keep going, while other times we try to back track and erase what's been done. (On a side note, I am slightly uncomfortable with the spelling of this product. I really wish it were spelled like the color instead of dropping the letter h. I suppose you could just buy a knockoff brand like the one I have sitting on my desk right now, appropriately called "Liquid Paper.")

Anyway, back to my point (assuming I have a valid one to make): Wite-Out brings with it true symbolism into our everyday lives. I'm going to try to sound sane when I say this, but Wite-Out always makes me think of the love of Jesus Christ.

If you ponder it for a bit, it makes sense. Whenever we ask forgiveness from our Savior, He wipes our slate clean and uses his own version of Wite-Out to make us white again. We are clean and get another chance. I'm sure you've noticed that you can always tell when a person uses corrective liquidthere is that splotchy, discolored area on the paper where it's obvious perfection was not involved. Similarly, when we sin, there are often lasting consequences that leave lasting marks and scars in our lives, but we are still forgiven. We are still allowed to write over that splotchy area where mistakes once superabounded.

When we avoid using Wite-Out and just scribble out what we originally wrote, it usually looks messier and like we didn't care to make our work more presentable. When we try to scratch things out in life without letting God white it out for us with forgiveness, we typically create bigger messes than we had beforejust like your uglified (it's OK to make up words on occasion) paper.

I understand that most people type things nowadays, but you can still have a messed up paper without Wite-Out. I know I've been in situations where I was about to turn in an essay and saw a typo of some sort. You have two choices (since you can't go reprint it right that moment): 1. Scratch out what you typed and use a pen to make the correction. 2. Utilize the wonder that is Wite-Out.

Just make sure you let it sit a few moments to allow the liquid to dry before you try writing over it. After all, impatience will just make more of a mess of everythingjust like in life.

2 comments:

LizRaz said...

this is an awesome post Natty, thank you. you are so wise, love you so much!

Unknown said...

Haha, thanks! You know your life is pretty thrilling when you blog about Wite-Out. :) Lovelovelove ya!