Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Gloves are not for your feet


Beauty can be found in the most unlikely places.

Over the weekend, I ran a half marathon in not-so-lovely conditions. The temperatures were in the 40s, which normally would be great racing weather. The problem was that it was rainingpouring at some pointsand the precipitation was obviously quite chilly, to say the least. Bottom line: outside=misery.

Now, imagine running 13.1 or (gasp!) 26.2 miles in this. Yes, that's what the crazies in Dallas were doing Sunday morning. But, you know what people I think are even more insane? The volunteers and spectators. It takes a special kind of person to stand out in those horrid conditions and not be moving around much. Did I mention you're getting soaked to the bone while you're out there?

I am seriously beyond thankful to everyone who was out there at the water and aid stations, serving as course guides, handing out medals at the finish (such as my dear friend Claudia), or doing countless other things to serve all of the runners who were out there Sunday morning. I can't say I would have been so willing to sacrifice extra sleep and being wrapped in warm blankets for a bunch of people I likely didn't know. But these are people with golden hearts full of warmth.

I LOVE my family. Seriously.
I am also particularly thankful for my family. My precious parentswho are there for me every single time I step on the starting linewere of course present. The Skipper wore his awesome bright orange poncho, while my mom was in her huge red Eskimo jacket with an umbrella to block the rain. Then there was my amazing sister (who HATES early mornings, by the way), with her big jacket and umbrella, as well. (Side note, her hair looked absolutely incredible for being out in humid, gross conditions. Diva.) My older brother even showed up, though I didn't see him until after I finished. I almost started crying. (Hey, it was an emotional moment, and I said almost.)

If that weren't enough for them simply to be there cheering for me in some of the worst weather possible, they showed me even more love after I finished.

As soon as I crossed the line, precious Claudia gave me a huge hug. I was so cold and out-of-sorts at that point, that I honestly didn't want her to let go. I didn't want to be cold, and I didn't want to fall down. When I finally started walking toward my family at the fence, I couldn't stop shaking. I stood there a few moments talking with them, and my whole body was out of control. My sistergotta love heroffered me her umbrella and tried to cover me with it. I was already sopping wet, so this really wouldn't have helped much. My friend Steve (who ran an incredible race, as usual) said we should go into a building near us so we could warm up.

My mom and sister took me to the restroom and started helping me put on some dry clothes, both of them offering to give me some of their layers, because I didn't have much in my backpack. (I left all of my extra layers in my car, thinking I would actually have the energy to go back out there. Negative.) While I was changing in the stall, I was so cold and shaky, and I think I mentioned something about feeling like I was going to pass out. Immediately, Stephanie started trying to break the door down. I love that girl.

I think I kicked myself during the race...
When I finally came out and was sitting on the floor, my mom gave me some gloves and told me to try to put them on my feet, which by now were completely purple. Have you ever tried to put gloves on your feet? I don't recommend it. They likely won't fit. My sister and I laughed, first at our mom's ridiculous suggestion, then again as we actually attempted to fit the thumb spot on my big toe. Instead, my giving mom took off her own socks and covered my feet in them.

Even though Sunday's weather was some of the ugliest stuff we've seen in the area lately, I honestly thought it was one of the most beautiful days ever. So many of my friends got PRs in either the half or the full (Shaheen, GQ, Moby, Carolyn and Jen with her 2:57 fullwho does that??!), I ran my best race, and my entire family was there for me.

It is amazing how God can work wonders through different people and events in our lives. While I was racing, at about mile 10 or so (if I'm off, who really cares?), it started pouring harder, and I felt like it was getting colder. I glanced at a woman directly ahead of me who was directing participants to make the next turn, and I couldn't help but praise Jesus for her. I have no idea who she is, but I know that I am truly thankful for her. She sacrificed her Sunday morning to stand in the cold rain and make sure that I knew where to turn.

Sunday morning was real proof that you can find love and peace in the midst of chaos and fear.

2 comments:

The Bases said...

This is so great!! Congratulations on your fabulous race! I ran the half too and am so grateful for everyone out there! It was miserable!

Melissa said...

Hey Nat,
Sean and I were out there that morning running along with ya! Sean ran the full and i opted out for the half. What an experience it was.... talk about being cold...When we got home, I turned on the TV to watch some of the footage from the race and saw ya on TV! Congrats on all your running endeavors and congrats on an awesome race!
Melissa Fox