Sunday, December 18, 2011

Never grow up


Sometimes I really don't want to grow up.

And, in some areas of life, I think we never should.

A few weeks ago, I was telling some people how excited I was about an upcoming roller-skating party. "What are you, 8?" was a question one of them asked me. I kindly reminded her that I am indeed 27and some 27-year-old women enjoy spending their Saturday nights at the roller rink.

And you know what? It was an absolute blast! I skated forward; I skated backward; I attempted (and was successful) turns; I sang and danced while on my skates; I took part in the rink races; I did the Hokey Pokey; and I got to spend quality time with some dear friends. There's no denying that it was a great night.

Flashback to elementary!
I got a similar reaction to someone yesterday when I mentioned I was going ice skating that night. And, let's just say this wasn't the first time it was pointed out that I take part in childish activities. I'm OK with that.

Ice skating was awesome, too! I skated forward (no backward this time); I sang and danced while on ice; I mocked speed skaters with the one-hand-behind-the-back posture; and I let my best friend skate fast toward me, take my hands, and then spin me around and aroundand we didn't even fall. Ice skating was a bit more challenging than roller skating, but at least I wasn't as cold as I thought I would be.

No, skating might not be the most mature activity to do on the weekends, but the truth is that it is good, clean fun. And, just like little kids do, you can't help but laugh at your friends when they bust it and take some tumbles to the floor (before you make sure they are OK, of course).

Obviously there are areas of life where we really do have to gain some maturity and higher levels of responsibility, but there are also multiple aspects of life in which we can learn from children. One is obviously the night life (including early bedtimes), and another is faith.

Faith like a child.

It's innocent and believing and doesn't need to see to believe. "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1). Kids have never actually seen reindeer on their rooftops or Santa coming down their chimneys, but they have the expectation every year and believe he will visit them; they've never seen a little fairy fly in their rooms and take teeth from under their pillows, but they expect it will happen and that there will be money in place of the teeth in the morning; they've never seen the footprints of Jesus in the mud beside them, but they believe He is with them every step of the way and expect Him to help them whenever they need.They don't try to fix everything themselvesthey leave it in His hands, instead.

For some reason, though, it seems like the older we get the more we think we have control of everything. Reality check: we don't. This is another area where we need to act like kidslet go, and let someone else take care of it. Just like when kids get hurt or lost or confused and depend on their parents to save them, we can always depend on our Father to be there with us and help us through whatever it is we are facing. We just need faith.

Faith like a child.

Life is way too short to act like a grownup all of the time. Dance when you want; sing out loud at the top of your lungs; skate; run through the sprinklers in your work clothes; splash in some puddles; eat a snow cone; believe.

Just don't ever grow up completely.

No comments: