Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Those dreaded moments


Even positive experiences in life can produce anxiety.

And it's times like these that become dreaded moments, not necessarily because you are afraid or don't want to do what you are about to do, but because taking an action requires stepping out of your comfort zone. And not many people are fans of that.

It's that moment when your alarm goes off, and you know you need to get up and get moving, but the thought of removing the covers is far too unappealing. You've entered the dreaded "I'm so warm and never want to leave my bed" moment. But your day can't get started until you first get out of your bed. The covers have to come off in order for that to happen, though.

It's that moment when you're on the platform at the public pool, and you look down at the water below. You know you are going to have a blast once you make it in there, but you first have to make that leap. You've entered the dreaded "I don't wanna jump! I don't wanna jump! I don't wanna jump!" moment. But the only way to join the fun below is to take the plunge.

It was cold and windy, and we had a dreaded moment of getting out of the car.
It's that moment when you're meeting your group to go running when it's 34 degrees outside, and you're sitting in your car with the heat on until the last possible minute. You know that once you get going, you will warm up and have a great run , but you really don't want to have to experience the coldeven for a split secondwhen you first take off the extra layers you're wearing. You've entered the dreaded "Can't I just stay in my warm car, turn around, drive home and go back to bed??!" moment. You want and need to get that run in, though, and that sure won't happen while you stay in your front seat jamming out to Taylor Swift.

It's that moment when you have to take liquid cough medicine, but you can't find the strength to lift the little cup to your lips. You know that it will help make you feel better, but you just don't think you can tolerate the horrid substance dancing on your taste buds. You've entered the "I think I will still be able to taste this even though I'm holding my nose" moment. But the only way to avoid staying up half of the night is to defeat the moment and swallow the fake cherry flavor.

There are countless other examples of those moments that we have to overcome in order for good things to happen. In fact, every single time I race, I get horrible pre-race anxiety. It lasts actually until the moment the gun goes off or horn sounds (or whatever starting device is used). I dread that moment and even have thoughts sometimes about running in the complete opposite direction in order to avoid that one second where the race begins. But, once it starts, I'm fine and have complete focus on running the best race I possibly can.

Life is full of moments where we have to overcome anxieties that make us hesitant about doing things we either need to do or want to do. But, there are so many positives that can come if we can just get through these instances. God has big plans, but we have to be willing to trust Him, even when we are taken out of our comfort zones.

I mean, if good can come from suffering through some bad-tasting cough syrup for a few seconds, then imagine the amazing things that can happen if you just take a leap of faith every once in a while.

No comments: